Definition from zikkir, the free dictionary
Hebrew אֲבִיגַיִל (avigáyil, “Abigail”, literally “her Father's joy, or, fountain of joy”).
- (Biblical) The wife of Nabal and later of David.
- A female given name, used since the 16th century, and currently quite popular.
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible (Authorized Version), 1Samuel 25:3:
- Now the name of the man was Nabal; and the name of his wife Abigail: and she was a woman of good understanding, and of beautiful countenance; but the man was churlish and evil in his doings.
- 1912 Edith Tunis Sale: Old Time Belles and Cavaliers. J.B.Lippincott 1912. page 178:
- The name of Abigail Adams is naturally closely associated with those of her illustrious father and mother, - - - Born in 1765, the mother's quaint Christian name was given to the little girl
biblical wife of David
female given name