- Extremely steep or craggy as if broken up; precipitous.
- Without notice to prepare the mind for the event; sudden; hasty; unceremonious.
- Curt in manner; rude; uncivil; impolite.
- Having sudden transitions from one subject or state to another; unconnected.
- (botany) Suddenly terminating, as if cut off; truncate.
NounAbrupt (plural Abrupts)
- (poetic) Something which is abrupt.
Adverbs for Abrupt
unpardonably; rudely; roughly; instinctively; unconsciously; unfortunately; startlingly; whimsically; intentionally; astonishingly; amusingly; offensively; ridiculously; inexcusably; unforgivably; unexpectedly; unreasonably; momentarily; habitually; unintentionally.
Synonyms for Abrupt
Antonyms for Abrupt
aggressive; arduous; bearish; beastly; bluff; blunt; blunt-edged; blunt-ended; blunt-pointed; blunted; bluntish; bold; brash; breakneck; breathless; brief; brisk; brusque; casual; cavalier; churlish; crisp; crusty; curt; discourteous; dull; dull-edged; dull-pointed; dulled; dullish; edgeless; electrifying; faired; gruff; harsh; hasty; headlong; hurried; impetuous; impolite; impulsive; informal; nerve-shattering; obtuse; panting; perpendicular; plumb; plunging; pointless; precipitant; precipitate; precipitous; quick; rapid; rash; ready; rough; rounded; rude; rushing; severe; sharp; sheer; shocking; short; sideling; smoothed; snappish; snappy; snippety; snippy; speedy; startling; steep; stickle; sudden; surly; surprising; swift; truculent; unannounced; unanticipated; unceremonious; uncivil; unedged; unexpected; unforeseen; unlooked-for; unplanned; unpointed; unpredicted; unsharp; unsharpened; vertical
- (precipitous): broken, rough, rugged
- (without time to prepare): brusque, sudden
- (uncivil):blunt, brusque
- (without transition): disconnected, unexpected
- Extremely steep, near vertical.
- Curt and abrupt.
- Done or said forwardly and without caution to avoid shocking.