NounAccident (countable and uncountable; plural Accidents)
- An unexpected event with negative consequences occurring without the intention of the one suffering the consequences.
- Any chance event.
- (uncountable) Chance.
- (transport) An unintended event such as a collision that causes damage or death.
- Any property, fact, or relation that is the result of chance or is nonessential.
- (euphemisms) An instance of incontinence.
- (euphemisms) An unintended pregnancy.
- (philosophy, logic) A quality or attribute in distinction from the substance, as sweetness, softness.
- (grammar) A property attached to a word, but not essential to it, as gender, number, case.
- (geology) An irregular surface feature with no apparent cause.
- (heraldry) A point or mark which may be retained or omitted in a coat of arms
- (law) casus; such unforeseen, extraordinary, extraneous interference as is out of the range of ordinary calculation.
- (military) An unplanned event that results in injury (including death) or occupational illness to person(s) and/or damage to property, exclusive of injury and/or damage caused by action of an enemy or hostile force.
- (uncountable, philosophy, rare) Appearance, manifestation.
Adjectives for Accident
unlucky; capricious; untoward; melancholy; singular; unfortunate; comical; happy; felicitous; merest; incalculable; inescapable; preventable; frightful; pure; deplorable; subversive; divine; haphazard; perverse; monstrous; trivial; sheer; malignant; regrettable; vexing; inexplicable; minor; heart-breaking; curious; ghastly; providential; incredible; stupid; dreadful; fatal; predictable.
Verbs for Accident
answer for -; barring -; breed -s; curb -s; excuse -; fake -; incapacitate by -; subject to -; trace to -; - befalls; - forces; - happens; - occurs; - oppresses; - places.
Synonyms for Accident
- (unexpected event that takes place without foresight or expectation): befalling, chance, contingency, casualty, mishap
- (law): casus
- happening, misfortune, misadventure, hazard, disaster, calamity.
Antonyms for Accident
happenstance; hazard; ill hap; incidence; incidental; inessential; kismet; long odds; long shot; luck; lucky shot; materialization; mere chance; misadventure; mischance; misfortune; mishap; mistake; nasty blow; nonessential; not-self; other; pileup; realization; secondary; serendipity; shipwreck; shock; smash; smashup; staggering blow; subsidiary; superaddition; supplement; tragedy; unessential; wreck, accessary; accessory; accidental; addendum; addition; adjunct; adventure; appendage; appurtenance; auxiliary; blow; blunder; calamity; casualty; cataclysm; catastrophe; chance; chance hit; collateral; collision; coming to be; contingency; contingent; contretemps; crack-up; crash; destiny; disaster; event; eventuality; eventuation; extra; fate; fluke; fortuity; fortune; freak accident; grief; hap; happening.
- (Balearic) IPA: [əksiðént], [əʦiðént]
- (Eastern Catalan) IPA: [əksiðén]
- (Western Catalan) IPA: [aksíðént]
Accident m. (plural Accidents)
- accident (a chance occurrence)
- (grammar) accident
- (music) accidental
- (transport) accident
- (logic) accident
Accident m. (plural Accidents)
Form of the verb accidō (“fall upon; befall”).
- third-person plural future active indicative of accidō
- "they will fall down, they will fall upon, they will fall near; they will descend"
- "they will happen (to), they will take place, they will occur, they will befall"
Form of the verb accīdō (“fell, cut down; use up; impair”).
- third-person plural future active indicative of accīdō
- "they will begin to cut into, they will begin to cut through, they will fell, they will cut down"
- "they will use up, they will consume, they will diminish"
- "they will impair, they will weaken, they will shatter"