- (idiomatic) Based on what is said or stated by.
- According to the directions, the glue takes 24 hours to dry.
- According to him, every person was to be bought. - Thomas Babington Macaulay
- In a manner conforming or corresponding to; in proportion
- Our zeal should be according to knowledge. - Thomas Sprat
- According to is shown as a preposition in all four American unabridged dictionaries MW3, RHU, Encarta, and AHD.
- The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language (CGEL) classifies according as a preposition with to phrase as its complement, noting that the meaning when used as a preposition differs from the meaning of the "-ing" form of the verb accord.
accommodated to; adapted to; adjusted to; after; agreeable to; agreeably to; answerable to; by; conformable to; congruent with; consistent with; in accordance with; in agreement with; in compliance with; in conformity with; in correspondence to; in harmony with; in keeping with; in line with; in lock-step with; in obedience to; in step with; in uniformity with; per; proper to; suitable for; uniform with
- The translations below need to be checked.