NounAdd (plural Adds)
- (transitive) To give by way of increased possession (to any one); to bestow (on).
- (transitive) To join or unite, as one thing to another, or as several particulars, so as to increase the number, augment the quantity, enlarge the magnitude, or so as to form into one aggregate. Hence: To sum up; to put together mentally; as, to add numbers; to add up a column.
- (transitive) To append, as a statement; to say further.
- (intransitive) To make an addition. To add to, to augment; to increase; as, it adds to our anxiety.
- (intransitive, mathematics) To perform the arithmetical operation of addition; as, he adds rapidly.
Adverbs for Add
fondly; facetiously; significantly; intelligently; wearily; dreamily; sorrowfully; passionately; thoughtfully; mildly; parenthetically; frowningly; hopefully; bluntly; decisively; soothingly; carelessly; regretfully; stridently; hurriedly; unobtrusively; contemptuously; tremulously; doubtfully; self-reproachfully; wistfully; breathlessly; impressively; haughtily; needlessly; falteringly; graciously; tentatively; briskly; generously; coolly; cryptically; slyly; speedily; accurately; erratically; mentally; alternately; materially; freely; jerkily; vertically; diagonally; horizontally.
Synonyms for Add
- (To append, as a statement; to say further): mention, note
- annex, coalesce, join, unite, enlarge, extend, increase, append, attach, augment, amplify, adjoin, affix.
Antonyms for Add
adjoin; affix; agglutinate; algebraize; amalgamate; annex; append; assimilate; attach; augment; blend; burden; calculate; cast; cipher; clutter; coalesce; combine; come together; complicate; compound; comprise; compute; conjoin; connect; consolidate; cumber; decorate; divide; dope out; embody; encompass; encumber; enlarge; estimate; extract roots; fasten; figure; figure in; figure out; flux; foot; fuse; glue on; hitch on; include; incorporate; increase; infix; integrate; interblend; interfuse; join; join with; lump together; make one; measure; meld; melt into one; merge; mix; multiply; ornament; paste on; plus; postfix; prefix; put together; put with; reckon; reembody; roll into one; saddle; saddle with; score; shade into; slap on; solidify; subjoin; subtract; suffix; sum; summate; superadd; superimpose; superpose; syncretize; syndicate; synthesize; tack on; tag; tag on; take account of; take on; tally; tot; total; tote; unify; unite; unite with; work out
- We add by bringing things together so as to form a whole.
- We join by putting one thing to another in close or continuos connection.
- We annex by attaching some adjunct to a larger body.
- We unite by bringing things together so that their parts adhere or intermingle.
- Things coalesce by coming together or mingling so as to form one organization.
- To add quantities; to join houses; to annex territory; to unite kingdoms; to make parties coalesce