From Spanish adobe.
NounAdobe (usually uncountable; plural Adobes)
- An unburnt brick dried in the sun.
- Many people in Texas and New Mexico live in adobe houses.
- O’Henry, Cabbages and Kings
- Stone sidewalks, little more than a ledge in width, ran along the base of the mean and monotonous adobe houses.
- O’Henry, Roads of Destiny
- “Find me a nice, clean adobe wall,” says he, “and send Senor Rompiro up against it.”
- Star Wars script
- The Jawas mutter gibberish as they busily line up their battered captives, including Artoo and Threepio, in front of the enormous Sandcrawler, which is parked beside a small homestead consisting of three large holes in the ground surrounded by several tall moisture vaporators and one small adobe block house.
- 26 May 2003, Roger Angell, in The New Yorker,
- The Sangre de Cristos came into view and the first soft-cornered adobe houses, and that night we ate at La Fonda with my Aunt Elsie, who worked for the Indian Bureau, and had Hopi snake dances and San Ildefonso pottery-makers and Mabel Dodge Luhan in store for us in the coming weeks.
- A house made of adobe brick.
- 2007 March 11 Ralph Blumenthal
- The snow-dusted mesas and million-dollar adobes look enchanting as ever […] .
ashlar; biscuit; bisque; bowl; brick; bricks and mortar; cement; ceramic ware; ceramics; china; clayey; clayish; clinker; concrete; covering materials; crock; crockery; earthy; enamelware; ferroconcrete; firebrick; flag; flagstone; flooring; glass; gumbo; jug; lath and plaster; loamy; marly; masonry; mortar; pavement; paving; paving material; plasters; porcelain; pot; pottery; prestressed concrete; refractory; roofage; roofing; siding; soily; stone; tile; tiling; urn; vase; walling
- IPA: /ɑˈdo.bə/
Adobe (no plural, no diminutive)
- IPA: /a.dɔb/
Adobe m. (plural Adobes)
- IPA: /aˈðoβe/
Adobe (infinitive adobar)