- aulmos (Jamaican English)
- (UK) IPA: /ɔːlˈməʊst/, /ˈɔːl.məʊst/, SAMPA: /"O:l.m@Ust/, /O:l"m@Ust/
- (US) IPA: /ˈɔl.moʊst/, /ˈɑɫ.moʊst/, SAMPA: /"Ol.moUst/
Audio (US-Inland North) noicon (file)
Audio (US) noicon (file)
- Hyphenation: al‧most
- Very close
- Almost all people went there. - Not all but very close to it.
- We almost missed the train. - Not missed but very close to it.
- Not quite
Almost (not comparable)
- Similar to
- They could be almost brothers.
NounAlmost (plural Almosts)
- (informal) Something or someone that doesn't quite make it.
- In all the submissions, they found four papers that were clearly worth publishing and another dozen almosts.
about; all but; approximately; as good as; as much as; barely; bordering on; close; closely; essentially; hardly; in effect; just about; most; much; near; nearabout; nearly; nigh; nighhand; not quite; practically; pretty near; scarcely; verging on; virtually; well-nigh