NounAnomaly (plural anomalies)
- A deviation from a rule or from what is regarded as normal.
- Something or someone that is strange or unusual.
- (sciences) Any event or measurement that is out of the ordinary regardless of whether it is exceptional or not.
- (astronomy) Any of various angular distances.
- (biology) A defect or malformation.
- (quantum mechanics) A failure of a classical symmetry due to quantum corrections.
- (dated) An irregularity or disproportion.
Adjectives for Anomaly
monstrous; dreadful; curious; noble; racial; peculiar.
aberrance; aberrancy; aberration; abnormality; abnormity; amorphism; anomalism; anomalousness; conceit; conversation piece; crackpotism; crank; crankiness; crankism; crosspatch; crotchet; crotchetiness; curio; curiosity; derangement; deviancy; deviation; difference; differentness; divergence; dottiness; eccentricity; erraticism; erraticness; exception; freak; freakiness; freakishness; heteromorphism; idiocrasy; idiosyncrasy; improbability; impropriety; inadmissibility; inapplicability; inappositeness; inappropriateness; inaptitude; inaptness; individualist; infelicity; inferiority; inner-directed person; irregularity; irrelevance; irrelevancy; kink; maggot; maladjustment; mannerism; mesalliance; misalliance; misfit; misjoinder; misjoining; mismatch; monstrosity; museum piece; naysayer; nonconformist; nonconformity; nonesuch; oddball; oddity; peculiarity; prodigiosity; prodigy; queerness; quip; quirk; quirkiness; rarity; singularity; sport; strange thing; strangeness; subnormality; superiority; teratism; trick; twist; uncongeniality; unconventionality; unfitness; unnaturalism; unnaturalness; unsuitability; whim; whimsicality; whimsy
- (UK) IPA: /əˈnɒməlɪ/, SAMPA: /@"nQm@lI/
- (US) IPA: /əˈnɑməli/, SAMPA: /@"nAm@li/
Audio (US) noicon (file)