- Hence, belonging peculiarly; peculiar; suitable; fit; proper.
- Suitable to the social situation or to social respect or social discreetness; socially correct; socially discreet; well-mannered; proper.
- (obsolete) Set apart for a particular use or person; reserved.
- (transitive, archaic) To make suitable; to suit. -- William Paley.
- (transitive) To take to one's self in exclusion of others; to claim or use as by an exclusive right; as, "let no man appropriate the use of a common benefit."
- (transitive) To set apart for, or assign to, a particular person or use, in exclusion of all others;—with to or for; as, a spot of ground is appropriated for a garden; to appropriate money for the increase of the navy.
- (transitive, UK, ecclesiastical, law) To annex, as a benefice, to a spiritual corporation, as its property. --Blackstone.
Adverbs for Appropriate
selfishly; unceremoniously; thievishly; eagerly; doubtfully; reverently; solely; wastefully; adequately; fraudulently; extravagantly;lavishly.
Synonyms for Appropriate
- (suited for) apt, felicitous, fitting, suitable
- (verb) take, assign, assume, arrogate, usurp, seize
- (adjective) opportune, suitable, becoming, proper, applicable.
Antonyms for Appropriate
a propos; absorb; abstract; acceptable; according to Hoyle; accroach; ad rem; adapted; admissible; adopt; advantageous; advisable; agreeable; allocate; allot; and; annex; appertaining; applicable; applying; appoint; apportion; apposite; appropriate; appropriate to; apropos; apt; arrogate; assign; assign to; assimilate; assume; auspicious; bag; banausic; becoming; befitting; belonging; beneficial; boost; borrow; characteristic; civil; claim; colonize; comely; commandeer; commodious; condign; confiscate; congruous; conquer; conscript; convenient; cop; copy; correct; crib; decent; decorous; defraud; derive from; deserved; desirable; desired; despoil; destine; detail; devote; digest; distinctive; distinguished; dovetailing; draft; due; earmark; eligible; embezzle; employable; encroach; enjoyable; enslave; entitled; exact; expedient; expropriate; extort; fair; fate; favorable; feasible; felicitous; filch; fit; fitted; fitten; fitting; forage; fortunate; fructuous; functional; geared; genteel; germane; good; good for; grab; grasp; happy; helpful; hog; hook; idiocratic; idiosyncratic; imitate; impound; in character; in point; indent; infringe; infringe a copyright; inspired; intrinsic; invade; involving; jump a claim; just; just right; kosher; lay hold of; lift; likely; lot; lucky; make assignments; make free with; make off with; make use of; mark off; mark out for; marked; material; meet; merited; meshing; metabolize; mock; monopolize; nice; nick; nip; normal; normative; occupy; of general utility; of help; of service; of use; on the button; opportune; ordain; overrun; palm; pat; peculiar; pertaining; pertinent; pilfer; pinch; pirate; plagiarize; play God; pleasant; poach; politic; portion off; practical; pragmatical; predigest; preempt; preoccupy; prepossess; press; pretend to; profitable; proper; propitious; providential; purloin; qualified; quintessential; raid; recommendable; relevant; requisite; requisition; reserve; restrict; restrict to; right; right and proper; righteous; rightful; ripe; run away with; rustle; schedule; scrounge; seasonable; seemly; seize; sequester; serviceable; set; set apart; set aside; set off; shoplift; simulate; single; singular; sit on; snare; snatch; snitch; sortable; spoil; squat on; steal; subjugate; suitable; suited; suiting; swindle; swipe; tag; tailored; take; take all of; take it all; take on; take over; take possession of; take up; thieve; timely; to be desired; to the point; to the purpose; trespass; true to form; unique; urbane; useful; usurp; utilitarian; walk off with; well-chosen; well-expressed; well-put; well-timed; wise; worthwhile; worthy; wrench
- (RP) enPR: əprō'priĭt, əprō'priət, IPA: /əˈpɹəʊ.pɹiː.ɪt/, /əˈpɹəʊ.pɹiː.ət/, SAMPA: /@"pr@U.pri:.It/, /@"pr@U.pri:.@t/
- (US) enPR: əprō'priĭt, əprō'priət, IPA: /əˈpɹoʊ.pɹi.ɪt/, /əˈpɹoʊ.pɹi.ət/, SAMPA: /@"proU.pri.It/, /@"proU.pri.@t/
- (RP) IPA: /əˈpɹəʊ.pɹiː.eɪt/, SAMPA: /@"pr@U.pri:.eIt/
- (US) enPR: əprō'priāt, IPA: /əˈpɹoʊ.pɹi.eɪt/, SAMPA: /@"proU.pri.eIt/
- Feminine plural form of appropriato