NounAutumn (plural Autumns)
- Traditionally the third of the four seasons, when deciduous trees lose their leaves; typically regarded as being from September 21 to December 20 in parts of the Northern Hemisphere, and the months of March, April and May in the Southern Hemisphere.
Autumn (not comparable)
- Of or relating to autumn.
Adjectives for Autumn
first; radiant; rank; tributed; colorful; dreary; everlasting; chill; meek; eventful; disambient; bounteous; sere; paradisaical.
Verbs for Autumn
enter—; hail—; welcome—; —advances —basks; —beams; —burnishes; —bursts —clamors; —colors; —decays; —decks; — declines; —descends; —embellishes; —extends from; —fades; —flames; —flushes —follows; —garners; —gleams; —harvests —haunts; —heralds; —lavishes; —matures; —meditates; —merges; —mocks; —paints —pierces; —pours; —precedes; —presses near; —reaps; —resigns; —ripens; —rushes in; —rustles; —scatters; —shackles; — spreads; —sweeps in; —thwarts; —up¬braids; —violates; —warns; —wreathes; —yields.
audio (UK) noicon (file)
- (UK): IPA: /ˈɔː.təm/, SAMPA: /"O:.t@m/
- (US): enPR: äʹtəm, IPA: /ˈɑ.təm/, SAMPA: /"A.t@m/
Audio (US) noicon (file)
aestival; arctic; autumnal; boreal; brumal; canicular; equinoctial; fall; harvest; harvest home; harvest time; hibernal; hiemal; midsummer; midwinter; out of season; seasonal; solstitial; spring; springlike; summer; summerlike; summerly; summery; vernal; winter; winterlike; wintery; wintry
- Note that season names are usually spelled in all lowercase letters in English. This is contrast to the days of the week and months of the year, which are always spelled with a capitalized first letter, for example Thursday or September.
- (US, Canada) fall