- (transitive) To keep away from; to keep clear of; to endeavor not to meet; to shun; to abstain from; as, to avoid the company of gamesters.
- (transitive, obsolete) To make empty; to clear.
- (transitive, now, law) To make void, to annul; to refute (especially a contract).
- (transitive, law) To defeat or evade; to invalidate. Thus, in a replication, the plaintiff may deny the defendant's plea, or confess it, and avoid it by stating new matter.
- (transitive, obsolete) To emit or throw out; to void; as, to avoid excretions.
- (transitive, obsolete) To leave, evacuate; to leave as empty, to withdraw or come away from.
- (transitive) (obsolete) To get rid of.
- (intransitive, obsolete) To retire; to withdraw, depart, go away.
- (intransitive) (obsolete) To become void or vacant.
Adverbs for Avoid
zealously; openly; studiously; industriously; contemptuously; scrupulously; cautiously; purposely; persistently; honorably; sedulously; decorously; involuntarily; totally; vigilantly; absolutely.
Synonyms for Avoid
Antonyms for Avoid
abstain; abstain from; avert; be stuck-up; bilk; blench; blink; circumvent; cringe; debar; deflect; divert; do without; dodge; double; draw back; duck; elude; escape; eschew; evade; exclude; fade; fall back; fight shy of; flinch; forbear; forbid; forgo; give place to; hang back; hold aloof; hold aloof from; hold back; jib; keep aloof; keep away from; keep clear of; keep from; keep hands off; keep off; keep remote from; leave alone; let alone; let go by; make way for; never touch; not meddle with; not touch; obviate; pass up; preclude; prevent; prohibit; pull back; quail; recoil; reel back; refrain; refrain from; retreat; sheer off; shrink; shrink back; shun; shy; sidestep; spare; stand aloof; stand aloof from; start aside; start back; stay detached from; steer clear of; swerve; turn aside; turn away from; ward off; weasel; weasel out; wince; withhold