From Middle English aye, ai, agg, from Old Norse ei, ey, from Proto-Germanic *ī́ui ‘ever, always’ (compare Old English ā, ō, Middle Dutch ie, German je), accusative of *aiwaz ‘age; law’ (compare Old English ǣ(w) ‘law’, West Frisian ieu ‘id’, Dutch eeuw ‘century’), from Proto-Indo-European *h₂éi̯us ‘long time’ (compare Irish aois ‘age, period’, Latin ævus ‘eternity’, Ancient Greek aiṓn).
Aye (not comparable)
- For examples of the usage of this term see the citations page.
NounAye (plural Ayes)
- An affirmative vote; one who votes in the affirmative.
- "To call for the ayes and nays;" "The ayes have it."
Australian ballot; Hare system; OK; acceptance; accord; acquiescence; affirmation; affirmative; affirmative attitude; affirmative voice; affirmativeness; agreed; agreement; amen; approbation; approval; assent; ballot; blessing; canvass; canvassing; casting vote; compliance; con; connivance; consent; counting heads; cumulative voting; deciding vote; division; eagerness; endorsement; enfranchisement; fagot vote; franchise; graveyard vote; hand vote; interest; list system; nay; no; nod; nod of assent; nontransferable vote; okay; permission; plebiscite; plebiscitum; plumper; plural vote; poll; polling; preferential voting; pro; promptitude; promptness; proportional representation; proxy; ratification; readiness; record vote; referendum; representation; right to vote; rising vote; sanction; say; secret ballot; show of hands; side; single vote; snap vote; straw vote; submission; suffrage; the affirmative; the negative; thumbs-up; transferable vote; ungrudgingness; unloathness; unreluctance; viva voce; voice; voice vote; vote; voting; voting right; willingness; write-in; write-in vote; yea; yea-saying; yeas and nays; yep; yes
- The New Geordie Dictionary, Frank Graham, 1987, ISBN 0946928118
- Newcastle 1970s, Scott Dobson and Dick Irwin, 
- A Dictionary of North East Dialect, Bill Griffiths, 2005, Northumbria University Press, ISBN 1904794165
Aye (not comparable)
- used to show agreement or acceptance; yes
- always, still
- A'll aye be wi ye an A'm nae carin whit thay say - I will always/ still be with you and I don't care what they say