- (of motion) Pertaining to the direction towards the back.
- (of motion) Pertaining to the direction reverse of normal.
- The occasional backward movement of planets is evidence they revolve around the sun.
- Reluctant or unable to advance.
- Don't be backward in suggesting story ideas to local media but always think of the wants, needs and desires of their readers when selling-in story ideas.
- Of a culture considered undeveloped or unsophisticated.
- Most cruelly, the immediate security interests of the United States and the states surrounding Somalia are now to keep it a failed state, to prevent Islamists from consolidating even a weak state centered on Mogadishu. The leader of the victorious faction, one Aden Hashi 'Ayro, is said to be a veteran of Afghanistan; he knows well what a small sanctuary in a backward corner of the globe can mean for al Qaeda. 
- Pertaining to a thought or value that is considered outdated.
- Replace the morbid, bankrupting, backward idea of superpower domination: Weapons dismantled. Global warming reversed. Perhaps, in time, overpopulation, poverty, starvation, ignorance and disease all resolved. Thus, moral determination combined with 21st Century science, ecology and social initiatives will make possible a resonant fulfillment of our American Revolution 
- (cricket) On that part of the field behind the batsman's popping crease.
- (cricket) Further behind the batsman's popping crease than something else.
- (of motion) In the direction towards the back; backwards
Synonyms for Backward
- (in reverse direction): retrograde
- (of an undeveloped culture): third world
- toward the rear, behind, in reverse order, retrogressive,
Antonyms for Backward
- (of an undeveloped culture): forward
- (of an outdated thought): progressive
- to the front, intelligent, ahead.
Micawberish, Olympian, a priori, a rebours, a reculons, about, afraid, aft, after, after time, aftermost, again, against the grain, ago, aloof, anticlockwise, apathetic, arear, around, arrested, arsy-varsy, ascending, ass over elbows, ass-backwards, astern, averse, away, axial, babbling, back, back when, back-flowing, back-to-front, backwards, balking, balky, bashful, behind, behind the times, behind time, behindhand, belated, belatedly, benighted, bigoted, blank, blind, blithering, blocked, bottom side up, bottom up, burbling, capsized, chary, checked, chiastic, chilled, chilly, coarse, cold, conservative, constrained, contrarily, contrariwise, conversely, cool, counter, counterclockwise, coy, crackbrained, cracked, crazy, cretinistic, cretinous, crude, dallying, deep into, delayed, delayed-action, delaying, demure, descending, detached, detained, die-hard, diffident, dilatory, dillydallying, dim, dim-witted, discreet, distant, dithering, down-trending, downward, drifting, driveling, drooling, dull, dumb, early, easygoing, embryonic, everted, ex post facto, expressionless, far on, feebleminded, flowing, fluent, flying, fogyish, foot-dragging, forbidding, frigid, fro, frosty, going, gone by, grudging, guarded, gyrational, gyratory, half-baked, half-witted, head over heels, heels over head, held up, hesitant, hidebound, hind, hinder, hindermost, hindhand, hindmost, hindward, hindwards, hung up, hyperbatic, icy, idiotic, ignorant, imbecile, imbecilic, impassive, impeded, impersonal, in a bind, in abeyance, in embryo, in ovo, in reverse, in the rough, inaccessible, indifferent, indisposed, inside out, into the past, introverted, invaginated, inversed, inversely, inverted, jammed, lackadaisical, laggard, lagging, late, latish, lax, lazy, lingering, loath, loitering, maundering, medieval, mentally defective, mentally deficient, mentally handicapped, mentally retarded, modest, mongoloid, moratory, moronic, mounting, narrow, never on time, none too soon, nonprogressive, not all there, obstructed, obtuse, offish, old-fashioned, old-fogyish, old-line, opposed to change, outside in, over, overdue, oversimple, palindromic, passing, perfunctory, plunging, poor, posterior, posteriorly, postern, preservative, procrastinating, procrastinative, procrastinatory, progressive, quiet, reactionary, rear, rearmost, rearward, rearwards, reductionistic, reductive, reflex, reflowing, refluent, regressive, reluctant, reminiscently, remiss, remote, removed, renitent, repressed, reserved, restive, restrained, resupinate, retarded, reticent, retiring, retrad, retral, retroactive, retroactively, retrograde, retrogressive, retrospective, retrospectively, retroverted, reverse, reversed, right-wing, rising, rotary, rotational, rotatory, rough, roughcast, roughhewn, round, round about, rude, rudimental, rudimentary, running, rushing, self-effacing, set back, shrinking, shuffling, shy, sideward, simple, simpleminded, simpletonian, simplistic, since, sinking, slack, slobbering, slow, slow to, slow-witted, slowed down, sluggish, soaring, standoff, standoffish, standpat, stopped, streaming, struggling, stunted, stupid, subdued, subnormal, suppressed, tail, tailward, tailwards, tardy, thickheaded, timid, to the rear, topsy-turvy, transposed, turned around, ultraconservative, unaffable, unapproachable, unassertive, unassured, unblown, uncongenial, uncultivated, uncultured, uncut, undemonstrative, underdeveloped, undeveloped, uneager, unenlightened, unenthusiastic, unexpansive, unfashioned, unfinished, unformed, ungenial, unhewn, uninformed, unlabored, unlicked, unpolished, unprocessed, unprogressive, unpunctual, unready, unrefined, untimely, untreated, unwilling, unworked, unwrought, unzealous, up-trending, upside down, upside-down, upward, vice versa, widdershins, withdrawn, wrong side out, wrong-way, wrong-way around