NounBalance (countable and uncountable; plural Balances)
- (uncountable) a state in which opposing forces harmonise; equilibrium
- (uncountable) mental equilibrium; mental health; calmness, a state of remaining clear-headed and unperturbed
- something of equal weight used to provide equilibrium (literally or figuratively); counterweight
- a pair of scales
- (uncountable) awareness of both viewpoints or matters; neutrality; rationality; objectivity
- (uncountable) the overall result of conflicting forces, opinions etc.; the influence which ultimately "weighs" more than others
- (uncountable) apparent harmony in art (between differing colours, sounds, etc.)
- (accounting) a list accounting for the debits on one side, and for the credits on the other.
- (accounting) the result of such a procedure; the difference between credit and debit of an account.
- (watchmaking) a device used to regulate the speed of a watch, clock etc.
- (obsolete, astrology) Libra
- (transitive) to make (items) weigh up.
- (transitive) (figurative) to make (concepts) agree.
- (transitive) to hold (an object or objects) precariously.
- (transitive) to make the credits and debits of (an account) correspond.
- (intransitive) to be in equilibrium.
- (intransitive) to have matching credits and debits.
Adjectives for Balance
unexpended; fabulous; unnatural; proper; delicate; subtle; artistic; comfortable; unpaid; neutral; sentimental; smooth; floating; adverse; peculiar; precariohs; normal; miraculous; economic; trifling; workable; unfavorable; scrupulous; logical; physiological; trembling; accurate.
Verbs for Balance
achieve—; adjust—; arrange—; attain—; augment—; bear—; bequeath—; control—; deflect—; determine—; disturb—; equalize—; even—; exhaust—; hang in—; hold—; lay in—; maintain—; measure—; reach—; readjust—; recover—; restore—; strike—; supply—; suspend on—; sway—; test—; tip —; totter in—; turn—; upset—; weigh in—-; —turns.
Adverbs for Balance
precariously; equally; ultimately; harmoniously; unskillfully; exactly; accurately; systematically; uncomfortably; cautiously; dexterously; eventually.
Synonyms for Balance
- (scales): pair of scales, scales, weighing machine, weighbridge (for vehicles)
- (equilibrium): equilibrium, stability, harmony, symmetry, proportion
- (support for both viewpoints): disinterest, even-handedness, fairness, impartiality, neutrality, non-partisanship
- (list of credits and debits): account
Antonyms for Balance
- (equilibrium): non-equilibrium, imbalance, unbalance, disproportion
- (support for both viewpoints): bias, favor/favour, partiality, partisanship, prejudice, unfairness
accommodate, accord, account, account current, account rendered, account stated, adjust, afterglow, afterimage, agree, amount to, analogize, analogousness, aplomb, arrangement, assess, assets, assimilate, assimilate to, assurance, atmosphere, atone for, attune, audit, authority, available means, average, back down, balance the books, balanced personality, ballast, bank account, be heavy, beauty, bilateral symmetry, bonus, book, bottom dollar, break even, bring into analogy, bring into comparison, brushwork, budget, butt, butt end, cancel, candle ends, capital, capital goods, capitalization, capitalize, carry, carry over, carry weight, cash account, cash reserves, cast up accounts, center, chaff, charge off, check, check out, checking account, close out, close the books, coequality, coextension, collectedness, color, come to, come up to, command, command of money, commensurability, common sense, communion, community, comparability, comparableness, comparativeness, compare, compare and contrast, compare with, compensate, compensate for, composition, composure, concinnity, confidence, conformity, confront, congruity, consider, consideration, consistency, constancy, contact with reality, contrast, control, control account, cool, cool head, coolheadedness, coolness, coolth, coordinate, corelation, correlation, correlativism, correlativity, correspond, correspondence, counteract, counterbalance, counterpoise, counterpose, countervail, counterweigh, counterweight, credit, damp, debate, debit, debris, deficit, deliberate, demonstrate, demur, design, detritus, difference, discrepancy, ditto, dividend, docket, double-check, draftsmanship, draw, draw a comparison, draw a parallel, due sense of, dynamic symmetry, end, enter, epact, equability, equal, equality, equalize, equanimity, equate, equation, equilibrium, equilibrize, equipoise, equipollence, equiponderance, equiponderate, equity, equivalence, equivalency, equivalent, estimate, euphony, eurythmics, eurythmy, evaluate, even, even off, even out, even up, evenness, excess, exchequer, extra, fag end, falter, fastness, fear, filings, finances, finish, firm, firm up, firmness, fit, flatten, footing, fossil, freeze, fund, funds, generality, give-and-take, golden mean, good sense, gratuity, grist, grouping, hang back, happy medium, harmonize, harmony, have weight, healthy mind, heel, heft, hem and haw, hesitate, hold, hold the scales, holdings, holdover, homeostasis, homogenize, horse sense, hover, hum and haw, husks, identity, immobilize, imperturbability, income account, integrate, invariability, inventory, inverse proportion, inverse ratio, inverse relationship, jib, journalize, juste-milieu, justice, keep, keep books, keep pace with, keeping, kitty, knot, lagniappe, leavings, leftover, leftovers, level, level head, levelheadedness, levelness, lie heavy, life savings, liken, liken to, likeness, line, liquid assets, log, lucid interval, lucidity, make an entry, make uniform, make up, make up for, makeweight, margin, match, match up with, mean, means, measure, measure against, measure up to, measuredness, median, mediocrity, medium, mental balance, mental equilibrium, mental health, mental hygiene, mental poise, metaphorize, middle, middle course, middle ground, middle point, middle position, middle state, middle-of-the-road, midpoint, minute, moneys, multilateral symmetry, mutuality, nail down, nerve, nest egg, net, norm, normal, normalcy, normality, normalize, normalness, note, odds and ends, offscourings, offset, oppose, order, orderedness, orts, outweigh, overage, overhaul, overmeasure, overplus, overrun, overset, overstock, oversupply, painterliness, par, parallel, parallelism, parings, parity, pause, pecuniary resources, perspective, pin down, place against, plain sense, plus, pocket, poise, polarity, ponder, pool, possession, post, post up, pourboire, practical mind, practical wisdom, practicality, preponderance, presence of mind, property, proportion, proportionability, proportionality, proportionate, prove, provision account, pull back, purse, quid pro quo, rags, ratio, rationality, reach, reason, reasonableness, reciprocality, reciprocation, reciprocity, reckoning, redeem, refuse, regularity, regularize, regulate, relate, relativity, reliability, relics, remainder, remains, remnant, repose, reserves, residual, residue, residuum, resource, resources, rest, restraint, retain, retreat, revenue account, rhythm, right mind, rival, roach, rootedness, rubbish, ruins, rule, rump, run, run a comparison, run abreast, run to, running account, sales account, sameness, sanemindedness, saneness, sang-froid, sangfroid, sanity, savings, savings account, sawdust, scales, score, scourings, scraps, scruple, secureness, security, self-assurance, self-command, self-confidence, self-control, self-possession, self-restraint, selling account, sense, senses, sensibleness, set in contrast, set in opposition, set off, set off against, set over against, setoff, shading, shadow, shapeliness, shavings, shilly-shally, shy, similarity, similize, smooth, sober senses, sober-mindedness, soberness, sobriety, solidity, something extra, something of value, sound mind, soundness, soundness of mind, spare, square, square up, stabilitate, stability, stabilize, stable state, stack up with, stagnancy, stagnation, standardize, stasis, steadfastness, steadiness, steady, steady nerves, steady state, stereotype, stick, stick at, stickle, stock account, stop to consider, straddle the fence, strain at, straw, strike a balance, stubble, stump, substance, substantiality, supply, surplus, surplusage, survival, suspense account, sweepings, sweetness, symmetricalness, symmetrize, symmetry, take stock, tally, technique, think twice about, tie, tip, tip the scales, tit for tat, tone, touch, trace, transfix, treasure, treatment, trilateral symmetry, tune, undeflectability, uniformity, uniformize, unregistered bank account, unshakable nerves, unshakableness, valuation account, values, verify, vestige, via media, view together, waste, weigh, weigh against, weigh heavy, weigh in, weigh out, weight, well-regulated mind, wherewithal, wholesomeness, withdraw, yield
Balance f. (plural Balances)
- (chemistry, physics) balance
- (economics, electricity, politics) balance
- (fishing) drop-net
- (slang) informant, snitch
- first-person singular present indicative of balancer
- third-person singular present indicative of balancer
- first-person singular present subjunctive of balancer
- first-person singular present subjunctive of balancer
- second-person singular imperative of balancer
- (accounting) balance