NounBankruptcy (plural bankruptcies)
- A legally declared or recognized condition of insolvency of a person or organization.
Adjectives for Bankruptcy
inevitable; economic; honest; moral; voluntary; irretrievable.
Verbs for Bankruptcy
adjudge—; administer by—; administrate in —; annul—; arrange for—; arise from—; assent to—; authorize—; avoid—; commit to—; contract—; declare—; decree—; defer—; delay—; discharge from—; drift into—; effect—; embarrass into—; enter—; evade —; examine for—; face—; force into—; head for—; incur—; investigate—; involve—; liquidate in—; petition for—; record—; reduce to—; relieve by—; save from—; seize in—; settle—; surrender to—; terminate in—; threaten with—; verge on—; — deprives; —divests; —solves; —threatens.
bouncing check, breakage, breakdown, bust, collapse, crack-up, crash, crippling, damage, defeat, destruction, detriment, dilapidation, disablement, disrepair, encroachment, failure, futility, harm, hobbling, hurt, hurting, ill success, impairment, incapacitation, infringement, injury, inroad, insolvency, insufficient funds, kited check, losing game, loss, maiming, mayhem, mischief, mutilation, no go, nonaccomplishment, nonsuccess, overdraft, overdrawn account, receivership, ruination, ruinousness, sabotage, scathe, sickening, spoiling, successlessness, unsuccess, unsuccessfulness, uselessness, weakening
- IPA: /ˈbæŋkrʌptsɪ/
- (noun) depression, economic downturn, financial crisis, insolvency, recession
- (noun) (figuratively) moral bankruptcy
- (adjective) bankrupt, insolvent
- (adjective) (slang) broke, bust, belly up
- (adjective) (figuratively) morally bankrupt
- (verb) (slang) go broke, go bust, go belly up