Definition from zikkir, the free dictionary
NounBeehive (plural Beehives)
- An enclosed structure in which some species of honey bees (genus Apis) live and raise their young.
- A man-made structure in which bees are kept for their honey.
- (figuratively) Any place full of activity, or in which people are very busy.
- A women's hairstyle, popular in the 1960s, in which long hair is styled into a hive-shaped form on top of the head and usually held in place with lacquer.
- A type of anti-personnel ammunition round containing flechettes, and characterised by the buzzing sound made as they fly through the air.
- 2005: By the time it was over, Stone had been blown thirty feet through the air by a beehive round as he was running across a field, knocked out by the concussion of the blast. — Martin Torgoff, Can't Find My Way Home (Simon & Schuster 2005, p. 179)
- (home of bees): hive
- (man-made structure): hive
- (busy workplace): hive of activity
- (hairstyle): B-52
home of bees
man-made structure in which bees are kept for their honey
figurative: any place in which people are very busy
type of anti-personnel ammunition
- The translations below need to be checked.
- Wikipedia article of beehives, the man-made structures
- Wikipedia article on the beehive, the hairstyleet:beehive