NounBond (plural Bonds)
- (law) Evidence of a long-term debt, by which the bond issuer (the borrower) is obliged to pay interest when due, and repay the principal at maturity, as specified on the face of the bond certificate. The rights of the holder are specified in the bond indenture, which contains the legal terms and conditions under which the bond was issued. Bonds are available in two forms: registered bonds, and bearer bonds.
- (finance) A documentary obligation to pay a sum or to perform a contract; a debenture.
- A physical connection which binds, a band; often plural.
- An emotional link, connection or union.
- (chemistry) A link or force between neighbouring atoms in a molecule.
- A binding agreement, a covenant.
- A sum of money paid as bail or surety.
- Any constraining or cementing force or material.
- (construction) In building, a specific pattern of bricklaying.
- In Scotland, a mortgage.
- (transitive) To connect, secure or tie with a bond; to bind.
- (transitive) To cause to adhere (one material with another).
- (transitive, chemistry) To form a chemical compound with.
- (transitive) To guarantee or secure a financial risk.
- To form a friendship or emotional connection.
- (transitive) To put in a bonded warehouse.
- (transitive, construction) To lay bricks in a specific pattern.
- (transitive, electricity) To make a reliable electrical connection between two conductors (or any pieces of metal that may potentially become conductors).
Adjectives for Bond
- (certificate or debenture) corporation; government; interest-bearing; matured; municipal; negotiable; transferable; utility.
- (investment) dubious; crinkly; unimpeachable; funding; highly-secured; gilt-edged.
- (tie) textual; unbreakable; inescapable; economic; financial; confidential; cruel; weak; tacit; everlasting; powerful; tenacious; imperishable; invisible; sympathetic; secret; strong; invariable; delusive; indissoluble; indestructible; intellectual; countless (pi); subtle; artistic; single; merry; harmonious; conventional; natural; oppressive; fraternal; eternal; marriage; enduring; close.
Verbs for Bond
- (certificate or debenture) advise on —s; borrow on —s; cash —s; float —s; inherit —s; investigate —s; issue —s; liquidate—; market —s; number—s; print —s; recommend —s; register —s; repudiate—s; sell—s; serialize—s; transfer—s; —accumulates interest; —matures; — promises.
- (tie) burst —s; contract—; dissolve—; enter—;liberate from—; link with —s; loose —s; maintain—; pledge—; seal—; shatter—;snap —s asunder; tighten—; —cements; — confines; —connects; —constrains; —endures; —enslaves; —fetters; —imprisons;—manacles; —obligates; —restrains; — shackles.
Adverbs for Bond
- (tie) indissolubly; unbreakably; inescapably; financially; tenaciously; imperishably; invisibly; conventionally; eternally; oppressively.
accident insurance, accord, accouple, accumulate, actuary, addition, adherence, adhesion, adhesive, adjunct, adjustment bond, affairs, affiliation, affinity, affixation, agglomeration, agglutinate, agglutination, aggregation, agreement, allegiance, alliance, amass, annexation, annuity, annuity bond, appreciation bond, approximation, arrangement, articulate, articulation, assemblage, assemble, assented bond, associate, association, assumed bond, assurance, assure, attachment, attest, aviation insurance, baby bond, back, bail, bail bond, band, bargain, be sponsor for, bearer bond, bearer certificate, bilbo, bind, binding, binding agreement, bona fides, bond anticipation note, bonds, bonne foi, bottomry, bracket, bracketing, bridge, bridge over, bridle, business life insurance, callable bond, camisole, cartel, casualty insurance, cement, certificate of insurance, certify, chain, chains, checks, clap together, clasping, cling, clinging, closeness, clustering, cohere, coherence, cohesion, collar, collateral trust bond, collect, collective agreement, combination, combine, communication, compact, comprise, concatenate, concatenation, concourse, concurrence, confirm, confluence, congeries, conglobulate, conglomeration, conjoin, conjugate, conjugation, conjunction, connect, connectedness, connection, connective, consolidated annuities, consolidated stock, consols, consortium, constancy, constraints, contiguity, contract, contract by deed, contract of record, contract quasi, contrariety, controls, convention, convergence, convertible bond, convertible debenture, copulate, copulation, cords, corporate bond, corporation stock, countersecure, couple, coupling, coupon bond, coupon rate, court bond, covenant, covenant of indemnity, covenant of salt, cover, credit insurance, credit life insurance, cuffs, current income bond, current yield, deal, dealings, debenture, debenture bond, deductible, deduction, deed, deed of trust, deed poll, deep-discount bond, defense bond, deferred bond, definitive bond, deposit, devotedness, devotion, dicker, discount bond, disjunction, earnest, earnest money, embrace, employment contract, encompass, endorse, endowment insurance, engagement, ensure, equipment bond, equipment note, equipment trust, equipment trust bond, equipment trust certificate, escrow, extended bond, faith, faithfulness, family maintenance policy, fastener, fastening, fealty, fetter, fetters, fidelity, fidelity bond, fidelity insurance, filiation, firmness, first mortgage bond, firsts, flood insurance, formal agreement, formal contract, fraternal insurance, gag, gage, gather, gathering, general mortgage bond, general obligation bond, girding, glue, go bail, good faith, government bond, government insurance, group policy, guarantee, guaranteed bond, guaranty, gyves, halter, hamper, handcuffs, handsel, health insurance, high-grade bond, hobbles, hock, hold together, homage, homology, hooking, hookup, hopples, hostage, hypothecate, impignorate, implied contract, include, income bond, indemnity, indent, indenture, industrial life insurance, insurance, insurance agent, insurance broker, insurance company, insurance man, insurance policy, insure, interchangeable bond, intercommunication, intercourse, interim bond, interinsurance, interlinking, interrelationship, intimacy, ironclad agreement, irons, join, joinder, joining, joint bond, jointure, junction, knot, knotting, lashing, lay together, leading strings, league, leash, legal agreement, legal contract, liability insurance, liaison, license bond, ligament, ligation, ligature, limited payment insurance, link, linkage, linking, loyalty, lump together, mainprise, major medical insurance, malpractice insurance, manacle, marine insurance, marriage, marry, marshal, mass, meeting, merge, merger, merging, mobilize, mortgage, mortgage bond, mortgage deed, municipal bond, mutual agreement, mutual attraction, mutual company, muzzle, nearness, negotiable bond, nexus, nominal rate, nonnegotiable bond, ocean marine insurance, optional bond, pact, paction, pair, pairing, par bond, parol contract, participating bond, pawn, permit bond, perpetual bond, piece together, pignus, pillory, pledge, policy, post, premium bond, promise, promissory note, propinquity, protocol, proximity, purchase money bond, put in hock, put in pawn, put together, put up, rapport, recognizance, refunding bond, registered bond, registered certificate, reins, relatedness, relation, relations, relationship, replevin, replevy, restraint, restraints, revenue bond, robbery insurance, roll into one, ropes, savings bond, second mortgage bond, seconds, secure, secured bond, security, shackle, shackles, sign, sign for, similarity, small bond, social security, solder, span, special contract, specialty, specialty contract, splice, sponsor, spout, stake, stand behind, stand up for, state bond, staunchness, steadfastness, stick, stick together, sticking, stipulation, stock company, stocks, stocks and bonds, straightjacket, strait-waistcoat, straitjacket, stranglehold, subscribe to, surety, symbiosis, sympathy, take in, tape, tax anticipation note, tax-free bond, term insurance, tether, theft insurance, tie, tie-in, tie-up, tieing, ties, title deed, token payment, trammel, trammels, transaction, treasury bond, treaty, troth, true blue, trueness, trust indenture, trustee mortgage bond, undersign, understanding, undertaking, underwrite, underwriter, unification, unify, union, union contract, unite, unsecured bond, vadimonium, vadium, valid contract, vinculum, voting bond, wage contract, war bond, warrant, warranty, weld, yield to maturity, yoke, yoking, zipping
Bond m. (plural Bonden)
Bond m. (plural Bonds)