- (RP) IPA: /ˈbʌfə(ɹ)/, SAMPA: /"bVf@(r)/
- Rhymes: -ʌfə(r)
- (GenAm) IPA: /ˈbʌfɚ/, SAMPA: /"bVf@`/
NounBuffer (plural Buffers)
- Someone or something that buffs.
- (chemistry) A solution used to stabilize the pH (acidity) of a liquid.
- (computing) A portion of memory set aside to store data, often before it is sent to an external device or as it is received from an external device.
- (mechanical) Anything used to maintain slack or isolate different objects.
- (telecommunications) A routine or storage medium used to compensate for a difference in rate of flow of data, or time of occurrence of events, when transferring data from one device to another.
- (rail transport) A device on trains and carriages designed to cushion the impact between them.
- (rail transport) The metal barrier to help prevent trains from running off the end of the track.
- An isolating circuit, often an amplifier, used to minimize the influence of a driven circuit on the driving circuit.
- In international relations, a buffer zone (such as a demilitarized zone) or a buffer state.
- To use a buffer or buffers; to isolate or minimize the effects of one thing on another.
- (computing) To store data in memory temporarily.
T square, aegis, annul, antacid, antidote, arch dam, arm guard, awl, backstop, bale breaker, bamboo curtain, bank, bar, barrage, barrier, battering ram, bear-trap dam, beaver dam, bevel, bevel square, bodkin, boom, bradawl, brattice, breakwater, breastwork, brick wall, bring to nothing, buff, buffer state, bulkhead, bulwark, bumper, calender, calipers, cancel, cancel out, cant hook, caulking iron, center punch, chamois, cloison, cofferdam, collision mat, come to nothing, contraceptive, copyright, counteractant, counteractive, counteragent, counterbalance, counterirritant, crash helmet, crowbar, cushion, dam, dashboard, defense, diaphragm, dibble, dike, dissepiment, ditch, dividers, dividing line, dividing wall, division, dodger, drag, earthwork, edger, electric sander, electric soldering iron, embankment, face mask, fence, fender, file, finger guard, flail, foot guard, forceps, fork, frustrate, fuse, gate, glazer, goggles, goose, governor, grader, grapnel, grappling iron, gravity dam, grease gun, grindstone, groin, guard, guardrail, hand guard, handrail, hard hat, harrow, hawk, helmet, hook, hydraulic-fill dam, insulation, interlock, interseptum, invalidate, iron, iron curtain, jack, jackscrew, jam, jetty, jointer, knee guard, knuckle guard, laminated glass, lathe, leaping weir, levee, level, life preserver, lifeline, lightning conductor, lightning rod, logjam, mangle, mask, mat, midriff, midsection, milldam, miter box, moat, mole, mound, mudguard, nail file, nail puller, negate, negativate, negative, neutralize, neutralizer, nose guard, nullifier, nullify, offset, pad, padding, palette knife, palladium, panel, parapet, paries, partition, party wall, patent, peavey, pilot, pincers, pinch bar, pitchfork, plane, planer, pliers, polisher, portcullis, press, preventative, preventive, property line, prophylactic, protective clothing, protective umbrella, puller, punch, punch pliers, puncheon, putty knife, ram, rammer, rampart, ramrod, remedy, ripping bar, roadblock, rock-fill dam, roller, rolling pin, safeguard, safety, safety glass, safety plug, safety rail, safety shoes, safety switch, safety valve, sander, screen, screwdriver, seat belt, seawall, separation, septulum, septum, shaper, shield, shin guard, shock pad, shutter dam, soldering iron, spatula, square, stapler, steamroller, stone wall, stultify, sun helmet, tackle, tamp, tamper, tamping pick, tap, thwart, tire iron, tire tool, tongs, trowel, tweezers, umbrella, undo, vise, vitiate, void, wall, weir, wicket dam, windscreen, windshield, work, wrecking bar, wringer
Buffer m. inv.