- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)bəl
From Middle English burblen (to bubble).
NounBurble (plural Burbles)
- A bubbling, gurgling sound, as of a creek.
- A gush of rapid speech.
- She burbled on as if I cared to listen.
- The turbulent boundary layer about a moving streamlined body.
- To bubble; to gurgle.
- To babble; To speak in an excited rush.
babble, be stupid, blather, blither, blubber, boil, boil over, bubble, bubble over, bubble up, chatter, clack, dither, dote, drivel, drool, effervesce, ferment, fizz, fizzle, gabble, guggle, gurgle, hiss, lap, maunder, plash, plop, prattle, purl, rattle, ripple, run on, seethe, simmer, slobber, slosh, sparkle, splash, swash, swish, trill, wash, work, yak, yammer
- (etymology) American Heritage Dictionary.