NounCanker (countable and uncountable; plural Cankers)
- (botany) A plant disease marked by gradual decay.
- A corroding or sloughing ulcer; especially a spreading gangrenous ulcer or collection of ulcers in or about the mouth.
- Anything which corrodes, corrupts, or destroys.
- A kind of wild, worthless rose; the dog rose.
- An obstinate and often incurable disease of a horse's foot, characterized by separation of the horny portion and the development of fungoid growths. Usually resulting from neglected thrush.
- An avian disease affecting doves, poultry, parrots but also birds of prey caused by Trichomonas gallinae
- (transitive) To affect as a canker; to eat away; to corrode; to consume.
- (transitive) To infect or pollute; to corrupt.
- (intransitive) To waste away, grow rusty, or be oxidized, as a mineral.
- To be or become diseased, or as if diseased, with canker; to grow corrupt; to become venomous.
Adjectives for Canker
Verbs for Canker
banish—; infect with—; slough—; spray—; —consumes; —corrupts; —decays; —depraves ; —destroys; —develops; —devours; —discharges; —diseases; —eats; —envelops; —gnaws; —grows; —indisposes; —poisons; —pollutes; —rusts; —spreads; —tarnishes.
- (ulcer, esp. of the mouth): water canker, canker of the mouth, noma
- (bird disease): avian trichomoniasis, roup
- (hawk disease): frounce
blister, boil, break up, bubo, bulla, bunion, cancer, canker sore, carbuncle, chancre, chancroid, cheapen, chilblain, coarsen, cold sore, confound, contaminate, corrode, corrupt, crumble, crumble into dust, debase, debauch, decay, decompose, defile, deflower, degenerate, degrade, demoralize, denature, deprave, desecrate, despoil, devalue, disintegrate, distort, dry rot, eat, eat away, eat into, erode, eschar, fall into decay, fall to pieces, felon, fester, festering, fever blister, fistula, fungus, furuncle, furunculus, gangrene, gathering, gnaw, go bad, go to pieces, gumboil, hemorrhoids, infect, kibe, lesion, mildew, misuse, mold, molder, mortify, moth, moth and rust, must, necrose, nibble away, oxidize, papula, papule, paronychia, parulis, pervert, pest, petechia, piles, pimple, pock, poison, pollute, polyp, prostitute, pustule, putrefy, putresce, rankle, ravage, ravish, rising, rot, rust, scab, smut, soft chancre, sore, sphacelate, spoil, stain, stigma, sty, suppurate, suppuration, swelling, taint, tubercle, twist, ulcer, ulcerate, ulceration, violate, vitiate, vulgarize, wale, warp, welt, wheal, whelk, whitlow, worm, wound, abscess, adulterate, alloy, aposteme, bed sore, blain, blast, bleb, blight,
- Rhymes: -æŋkə(r)