NounCartridge (plural Cartridges)
- (firearms) The package consisting of the bullet, primer, and casing containing gunpowder; a round of ammunition.
- (by extension) A prefabricated subassembly that can be easily installed in or removed from a larger mechanism or replaced with another interchangeable subassembly.
- (computing) A vessel which contains the ink or toner for a computer printer and can be easily replaced with another.
- (computing) Magnetic tape storage, used for storing (backup) copies of data.
- (obsolete) A small paper package, e.g. in an old book about making printer's type: After all the type has been cast: "The Boy will paper up each sort in a cartridge by itself".
Adjectives for Cartridge
blank; buck-shot; cylindrical; deadly; highly-charged; inflammable; trusty; hoarded.
Verbs for Cartridge
arm with —s; belt —s; box —s; case —s; distribute —s; fit—; form into—; ignite—; insert—; load with—; provide—; replenish —s; shape—; store—; —bursts; —detonates; —explodes; —penetrates.
audio sound system, audiophile, backing, ball cartridge, bibliofilm, binaural system, bipack, bitch box, black-and-white film, blank cartridge, bullhorn, cartouche, cassette, ceramic pickup, changer, color film, color negative film, crystal pickup, derived four-channel system, disc, discrete four-channel system, dope, dry plate, electrical transcription, emulsion, film, four-channel stereo system, frame, hi-fi, hi-fi fan, high-fidelity, intercom, intercommunication system, jukebox, magnetic pickup, microfilm, monaural system, mono, monochromatic film, motion-picture film, needle, negative, nickelodeon, orthochromatic film, pack, panchromatic film, phonograph, phonograph record, photoelectric pickup, photographic paper, pickup, plate, printing paper, public-address system, quadraphonic sound system, radio-phonograph combination, record, record changer, record player, recording, roll, shell, sound film, sound reproduction system, sound track, sound truck, sound-on-film, soundstripe, squawk box, stereo, stylus, system, tape, tape cartridge, tape cassette, tape deck, tape recorder, tape recording, tone arm, transcription, transcription turntable, tripack, turntable, vehicle, wax, wire recording