NounCharacter (plural Characters)
- A being involved in the action of a story.
- A written or printed symbol, or letter
- A distinguishing feature; characteristic; A complex of mental and ethical traits marking a person or a group.
- A moral strength.
- A person with many notable or eccentric features.
- (mathematics) A complex number representing an element of a finite Abelian group.
- (computing) One of the basic elements making up a text file or string: a code representing a printing character or a control character.
- (informal) A person or individual, especially one who is unknown or raises suspicions.
Character (third-person singular simple present Characters, present participle Charactering, simple past and past participle Charactered)
- (obsolete) To write (using characters); To describe
Adjectives for Character
- (quality, personality) authoritative; jellyfish; picturesque; theocratic; tragic; fluctuating; literary; airy; modish; coquettish; desperate; incidental; colorful; irreproachable; vulgar; veritable; rugged; decorative; compendious; undefined; implacable; pontifical; imperfect; articulate; antithetical; legendary; opaque; tranquil; true; arid; mysterious; commanding; historical; surreptitious; observing; current; grandiose; gay; sympathetic; charming; functional; apathetic; vain; lyrical; nondescript; zig zag; explicit; inherited; statuesque; well-established; trivial; national; contemptible; hurried; hostile; material; accidental; vicious; doubtful; motley; congratulatory; enigmatical; prerogatived; external; abandoned; inviolable; vehement; monochromatic; uncommon; poisonous; sensuous; dicrotic; magnanimous; coherent; positive; semi-divine; normal-sized; strenuous; affectionate; ethereal; disfiguring; irregular; forceful; idealistic; poetical; constipating; spiritual; grave; biographico-historical; proud; lying; submissive; many-sided; dutiful; upright; worthless; homely; humorous; insignificant; imperishable; gentlemanly; useful; abusive; decorous; indecisive; cosmopolitan; vague; dangerous; treasonable; atrocious; half-paternal; factitious; unsteady; shadowy; rude; wooden; impassioned; villainous; yielding; architectural; gross; specific; conscientious; firm; hereditary; unimpeachable; sporting; harmonious; strong; contrasting; unnatural; dominant; special; bright; emphatic; desert; clear-cut; defined; handsome; stainless; collective; corporate; speculative; critical; eclectic; savory; loose; resolved; nebulous; advanced; impeccable; authentic; unblemished; rare; chosen; sophisticated; celestial; saint-like; docile; creditable; cute; attractive; virile; adamantine; curious; idiosyncratic; jaunty; bizarre; adventurous; comic; fantastic1; silent; methodical; satisfied; staid; solidified; reticent; dull-witted; timorous; infantile; saturnine; soft; phlegmatic; vacillating; planless; traditionless; varied; racy; infamous; base; notorious; vengeful; unscrupulous; mercenary; obstinate; preposterous; racial; Mephistophelean; Puritan; hieroglyphic; seditious; quasi-public; figurative; youthful; semi-private; artificial; grave; cursive; specialized; representative; confidential; voluntary; individual; composite; intimate; interpolated; unequivocal; abnormal; unified; holy; incidental; deepest; ironic; realistic; abstract; contemporary; secondary; well-rounded; famous; well-known; picaresque; functionless; minor; queer; well-conceived; bygone; rough; deliberate; light; splendid; principal; credible; ambitious; memorable; leading; burlesque; whimsical; quaint; flamelike; vexatious; illustrious; first-rate; exceptional; celebrated; sheer; toothsome; prosy; composite; parasitic; private; fabulous; axiomatic; positive; nefarious; negative; munificent; salient; deleterious; stern; tempting; formal; reflective; sturdy; undecided; durable; substantial; apoplectic; cabalistic; melodramatic; provisional; indifferent; unscrupulous; vindictive; steadfast; estimable; personal; central; religious; fictional; finite; grasping; hollow; peculiar; composite; intrinsic; amiable; honest; uncelebrated; analogous; distinctive; intellectual; roving; liberal; alarming; feeble; notorious; pedestrian; sad; unspotted; moral; high-toned; daring; intense; diverse; frivolous; startling; half-obliterated; august; gallant; chivalrous; amazing; odious; elevated; heterogeneous; unwieldly; ridiculous; artistic; refulgent; elusive; absorbing; wanton; depraved; timid; trembling; unstable; virtuous; unsullied; robust; arduous; singular; dynamic; determinate; contrasting; beautiful; historical; vicious; interesting; inviolate; seductive; romantic; chameleon-like; miscellaneous; eccentric; arbitrary; powerful; clerical; defective;murderous; unworthy; pristine; anecdotic; ferocious; sterling; spontaneous; ardent; presumptuous; headstrong; appealing; irresolute; lofty; sinister; luminous; feminine; extraordinary; contrary; eminent; acquired; general; goblin; complimentary; cold; passionless; checkered; obliterated; suspicious; unpractical; public; philological; simplest; primitive; prominent; unpleasant; minor; capricious; voluptuous; nobler; double; outward; antiquated; native; patriotic; deadly; improvident; accursed; external; ungainly; admirable; urgent; dubious; gloomy; melancholy; haughty; imperious; odd; domestic; massive; unique; dry; hard; assumed; fraudulent; heart-rending; exotic; self-reliant; bucolic; pacific; tempestuous; rightful; fictitious; random; complete; exhaustive; timely; idealistic; moral; unemotional; vigorous; epigrammatic; joyous; gentle; sacred; dissolute; flawless; reckless; genial; indelible; reigning; seasoned; lovable; indigenous; predominating; subordinate; unsavory; clean; natural; jovial; shallow; uninspiring; blackened; loquacious; homo-phonic; physiognomic; hermit; sensational; utilitarian; disturbing; hard-bitten; dwarfish; degrading; flabby;
- (role in drama or literature) biblical; dramatic; heroic; historic; legendary; mythological; fictional; personated; comic; tragic; contemporary.
Verbs for Character
- (quality, personality) alter—; analyze—; behold—; besmirch—; blacken—; brand—; breathe—; clear—; debase—; defend—; degrade—; denote—; detract from—; disclose—; display—; elevate—; embody—; emulate—; estimate—; express—; mask—; mold—; paint—; purify—; redeem—; reflect—; rehabilitate— respect—; reveal—; slur—; traduce— transform—; undermine—; warp—; — achieves; —breaks down.
- (role in drama or literature) assume—; compound—; conceive—; delineate—; depict—; differentiate—s; display—; distort—; draw—; interpret—; introduce—; invent—; juggle—s; merge into—; play—; portray—; produce—; roll into—; unfold—; —impresses; —represents; —symbolizes.
Synonyms for Character
personality, reputation, constitution, disposition, nature, temperament, temper, estimation, repute, spirit, symbol, species, standing, record, mark, letter, type.
Terms derived from character
determinant, determinative, determiner, device, dharma, diagram, diathesis, differentia, differential, digit, dignitary, direct, diseur, diseuse, disposition, distinction, distinctive feature, dot, dramatizer, draw, duck, duty, earmark, earthling, eccentric, eccentricity, eclat, emblem, eminence, enchase, endowment, engrave, erectness, erratic, estimableness, ethos, eugenics, evocation, evoke, expected, express, expression mark, factor, fairness, fame, famousness, fanatic, fat part, feather, feature, feeder, feller, fellow, fermata, fiber, figure, fitting, flake, flavor, foil, footing, form, frame, freak, function, furrow, gene, genesiology, genetic code, genetics, genius, genre, genus, give words to, glory, good character, goodness, grain, grammalogue, graph, grapheme, graphic account, grave, groove, groundling, gust, guy, habit, hallmark, hand, hatch, head, heavy, hereditability, heredity, heritability, heritage, hermit, hero, heroine, hieratic symbol, hieroglyph, hieroglyphic, hieroglyphics, high ideals, high principles, high-mindedness, hiragana, histrio, histrion, hit off, hobo, hold, homo, honesty, honor, honorableness, hue, human, human being, humor, humors, ideogram, ideograph, idiocrasy, idiosyncrasy, ilk, image, imagery, immaculacy, impress, impression, in character, in keeping, inborn capacity, incise, inclination, index, indicant, indicator, individual, individualism, individuality, ingenue, inheritability, inheritance, initial, inscribe, insignia, integrity, intellect, intelligence, irreproachability, irreproachableness, itemization, jasper, job, joker, justice, justness, juvenile, kana, katakana, key signature, keynote, kidney, kin, kind, kook, kudos, label, lad, lead, lead role, leading lady, leading man, leading woman, leaning, letter, letter of introduction, lexigraphic character, life, ligature, limn, limning, line, lineaments, lines, lithograph, living soul, logogram, logograph, lone wolf, loner, loony, lot, make, make prints, makeup, man, manner, mannerism, map, mark, marking, matinee idol, matrocliny, maverick, measure, mental set, meshuggenah, metronomic mark, mettle, mime, mimer, mimic, mind, mind-set, mold, monogram, monologist, moral excellence, moral strength, morality, mortal, mummer, nabob, name, natural, nature, nobility, nonconformist, normal, nose, notability, notate, notation, note, notoriety, notoriousness, number, numeral, numero, nut, odd fellow, oddball, oddity, odor, office, ogham, one, original, out of character, outline, outsider, paint, pantomime, pantomimist, pariah, part, particularity, particularization, party, patrocliny, patronage, pause, peculiar, peculiarity, person, personage, personality, persuasion, pharmacogenetics, phonetic, phonetic character, phonetic symbol, photograph, phylum, physique, pictogram, pictograph, pictographic character, picture, picturize, piece, place, playactor, player, point, popularity, portrait, portraiture, portray, portrayal, position, predilection, predisposition, preference, presa, principles, print, probity, proclivity, profile, propensity, proper, property, protagonist, protean actor, province, publicity, pureness, purity, quality, queer duck, queer fish, queer specimen, quirk, quiz, race, radical, rank, rara avis, recessive character, reciter, reclame, recluse, recognition, recommend, recommendation, rectitude, reference, register, relation, render, rendering, rendition, renown, replication, report, represent, representation, representative, reputability, reputation, repute, resolution, respectability, righteousness, role, rub, rune, savor, schematize, score, scrape, scratch, screwball, sculpture, seal, segno, set, set forth, shape, shorthand, side, sigil, sign, signal, signature, single, singularity, situation, sketch, slant, slur, smack, solitary, somatotype, somebody, someone, sort, soubrette, soul, specialty, species, specification, spirit, spook, stage performer, stage player, stainlessness, stamp, standing, state, station, status, stipple, stooge, straight man, straight part, strain, strange duck, streak, stripe, stroller, strolling player, stud, style, suchness, suitable, supporting character, supporting role, sure sign, swell, syllabic, symbol, symbolize, symptom, system, taint, take a rubbing, tang, taste, telltale sign, tellurian, temper, temperament, tempo mark, tendency, tenor, terran, testimonial, the bubble reputation, the like of, the likes of, theatrical, thespian, tie, time signature, title role, token, tone, tool, trace, trace out, trace over, trait, tramp, transcribe, transliterate, tribe, trick, trouper, turn, turn of mind, twist, type, typical, uncharacteristic, unexpected, unfitting, unimpeachability, unimpeachableness, uniqueness, unspottedness, untypical, uprightness, upstandingness, utility man, variety, vein, vignette, villain, vinculum, virtue, virtuousness, vivid description, vogue, voucher, walk-on, walking part, warp, way, wedge, weirdo, word letter, word painting, worldling, worthiness, write, writing, written character, zealot, zombie, abnormal, accent, accent mark, acclaim, actor, actress, advocacy, advocating, advocation, affection, alien, allele, allelomorph, alphabet, alphabetic character, alphabetize, animus, antagonist, antihero, aptitude, arbitrary, aroma, arrowhead, assured probity, attribute, atypical, autolithograph, bad guy, badge, banner, bar, barnstormer, bastard, bat, be a printmaker, being, bent, bias, big shot, big-timer, bigwig, binary digit, bird, birth, birthmark, bit, bit part, blamelessness, blood, body, body-build, brand, breed, bring to life, bugger, cachet, cameo, cancel, capacity, capitalize, card, carve, case, cast, cat, catalog, cataloging, catch a likeness, celebrity, certificate of character, chap, character actor, character man, character reference, character sketch, character woman, characteristic, characteristics, characterization, characterize, chart, chief, child actor, chisel, chromatid, chromatin, chromosome, cipher, clan, cleanness, clothing, color, complexion, composition, condition, configuration, constituents, constitution, courage, cove, crackpot, crank, crasis, crease, creature, credential, cribble, crosshatch, cue, cuneiform, customer, custos, cut, decency, delineate, delineation, demotic character, denomination, depict, depiction, describe, description, designation, details,
From Old French caractere, from Latin character, from Ancient Greek χαρακτήρ (kharaktēr, “type, nature, character”) from χαράσσω (kharassō, “I engrave”).
- IPA: /ˈkʰæɹəktɚ/, /ˈkʰɛɹəktɚ/
symbol for a sound or a word
notable or eccentric person
complex number (mathematics)
basic element in a text string (computing)
character (genitive characteris); m, third declension
- branding iron
- brand (made by a branding iron)
- characteristic, mark, character, style