Definition from zikkir, the free dictionary
- Chornobyl (as transliterated from Ukrainian)
From Russian Чернобыль (Černóbyl’), from чернобыль (černóbyl’, “mugwort”). Compare Ukrainian Чорнобиль (Čornóbyl’), from чорнобиль (čornóbýl’, “mugwort”), from чорнe (čórne, “black, neut.”) + билля (bylljá, “grass blades or stalks”).
- An abandoned city in northern Ukraine, known as being the site of a nuclear accident.
- 1991 Think Tank on the Efficient Energy Trail
- A couple of oil shocks, a Chernobyl meltdown, and a Gulf War later, his basic message – the need to emphasize efficiency and renewable resources over oil and nuclear power – is still a minority view
NounChernobyl (plural Chernobyls)
- (by extension) A major nuclear-energy accident.
- 1999 Terence Scully When cell phones kill our brain waves, we will worry less
- The effects of a Chernobyl disaster in my community would probably be barely noticeable.
- 2007 Imagining a World Without Humans
- So those would be a lot of Chernobyls that the ecosystem would have to deal with.
- 2010 Ben Garcia Many Kuwaitis yet to be convinced on nuke energy
- It has to be handled properly with great accuracy and no room for mistakes, because if we do have like a Chernobyl catastrophe, God forbid, it could wipe out our entire people.
city in Ukraine