- Not dirty.
- In a condition of having been cleaned.
- In an unmarked condition.
- Pure, especially morally or religiously.
- Not having used drugs or alcohol.
- Smooth, exact, and performed well.
- (of criminal, driving, etc records) without restrictions or penalties, or someone having such a record.
- (aerodynamics) Allowing an uninterrupted flow over surfaces, without protrusions such as racks or landing gear.
- (health) Being free of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
- (informal) Not in possession of weapons or contraband such as drugs.
- (transitive) To remove dirt from a place or object.
- (transitive) To tidy up, make a place neat.
- (transitive, climbing) To remove equipment from a climbing route after it was previously lead climbed.
- (intransitive) To make things clean in general.
- (intransitive, curling) To brush the ice lightly in front of a moving rock to remove any debris and ensure a correct line; less vigorous than a sweep.
Adverbs for Clean
- (not dirty) hygienically; Immaculately; neatly; spotlessly; stainlessly; tidily; trimly; sweetly; refreshingly; satisfactorily; punctiliously; meticulously; fragrantly; wholesomely; healthily; fastidiously; exquisitely; scrupulously; surgically; personally; shiningly; glowingly; delightfully; gratefully; comfortably; perfectly; faultlessly; impeccably; consummately; neatly; sprucely; radiantly; superbly; incredibly; finically; fussily; fanatically; daintily; sturdily; acceptably; passably; indifferently; presumably; appreciably.
- (to remove dirt) immaculately; scrupulously; ambitiously; superficially; fussily; diligently; indifferently; ostentatiously; industriously; scientifically; passably; thoroughly; generally; fastidiously; exquisitely; enviably; orally; spotlessly; surgically; aridly.
Synonyms for Clean
Antonyms for Clean
pure, pure in heart, purehearted, purely, purge, purified, purify, quick, quite, quite some, radical, ready, recondition, reform, regular, renew, renovate, reputable, resourceful, respectable, reveal, right, right-minded, righteous, ritually pure, sanitary, sanitize, scavenge, scour, scrub, scrubbed, sexually innocent, shapely, sheer, shining, shiny, simple, sing, skillful, slick, smooth, smut-free, smutless, snowy, some, sparkling, spill the beans, sponge, sportsmanlike, sportsmanly, spotless, spotlessly, spruce, stainless, stark, statesmanlike, steam-clean, sterile, sterling, straight, straighten out, straighten up, stylish, sweep, sweep out, sweeping, sweet, sweeten, tactful, tahar, taintless, the compleat, the complete, thorough, thoroughgoing, thoroughly, through-and-through, tidy, total, totally, trim, true-dealing, true-devoted, true-disposing, true-souled, true-spirited, truehearted, tubbed, ubiquitous, unadulterated, unarmed, unbesmirched, unblemished, unblotted, unclutter, uncomplicated, unconditional, uncontaminated, uncorrupt, uncorrupted, undefiled, unimpeachable, uninfected, universal, unmitigated, unmixed, unmuddied, unpolluted, unqualified, unrelievedly, unreserved, unrestricted, unsmirched, unsmudged, unsoiled, unspoiled, unspotted, unstained, unsullied, untainted, untarnished, upright, uprighteous, upstanding, utter, utterly, vacuum, veritable, virtuoso, virtuous, wash, wash up, weaponless, well-done, well-favored, well-formed, well-made, well-proportioned, well-scrubbed, well-shaped, well-washed, white, whiten, whitened, wholesale, wholesome, wholly, wipe, wipe off, wipe out, wipe up, workmanlike, worthy, all-pervading, altogether, antiseptic, apt, artistic, authoritative, bath, bathe, blameless, bleach, bleached, blotless, born, bowdlerize, bravura, bright, brighten, brilliant, broad-based, chaste, clarify, clean, clean out, clean up, clean-cut, cleanly, cleanse, cleansed, clear, clear out, clever, come clean, comely, completely, comprehensive, confess, congenital, consummate, coordinated, crack, crackerjack, creditable, cunning, cute, daedal, dainty, decent, decontaminate, decontaminated, deep-dyed, definite, deft, delouse, deplete, depurate, deterge, dirt-free, disinfect, disinfected, do, do up, downright, dry-clean, dust, dust off, dyed-in-the-wool, egregious, empty, entirely, erect, estimable, ethical, evacuate, even, excellent, exhaust, exhaustive, expert, expurgate, fair, fancy, fastidious, faultless, fresh, freshen, full of integrity, fully, furbish, good, goodish, graceful, guiltless, gut, handy, high-minded, high-principled, highly respectable, honest, honorable, immaculate, immaculately, impeccable, inculpable, ingenious, innocent, inoffensive, intensive, inviolate, irreproachable, irretrievably, irrevocably, just, kosher, launder, lave, law-abiding, law-loving, law-revering, lustrate, magisterial, manly, masterful, masterly, modest, mop, moral, neat, neaten, no mean, noble, nonpolluted, of cleanly habits, omnibus, own up, perfect, perfectly, pervasive, plain, plumb, police, polish, politic, principled, professional, proficient,
Middle English clene (“clean, clear, pure”) from Old English clǣne (“pure, clear”) from Proto-Germanic *klainiz (“clear, pure”) from Proto-Indo-European *g(e)lēi- (“gleaming”) from Proto-Indo-European *gel- (“to gleam”). Akin to Old High German kleini "gleaming, bright, fine" (German klein "small"). Displaced Old English sȳfre (“clean, sober”), hlūtor (“pure, clear, clean, bright”).