- Rhymes: -ɪpɪŋ
- Present participle of clip.
NounClipping (countable and uncountable; plural Clippings)
- (uncountable) The action of the verb to clip.
- (countable) A piece of something removed by clipping.
- a clipping of hair
- grass clippings
- (countable) An article clipped from a newspaper.
- (linguistics) A short form (of a word).
- The word "ad" is a clipping of "advertisement".
- (piece of something removed by clipping): offcut, snippet
- (article clipped from a newspaper): cutting, newspaper clipping, newspaper cutting
- (word formed by shortening another): See short form
abbreviation, ana, analects, anthology, apocope, aposiopesis, bit, butt, chip, chunk, clip, clippings, collectanea, collection, collop, contraction, crasis, crumb, cut, cutting, cuttings, dollop, elision, ellipsis, end, excerpta, excerpts, extracts, florilegium, flowers, fragment, fragments, gleanings, gob, gobbet, hunk, lump, miscellanea, miscellany, modicum, moiety, morsel, paring, particle, piece, pruning, rasher, scoop, scrap, shard, shaving, shiver, shortening, shred, slice, sliver, smithereen, snack, snatch, snip, snippet, splinter, stitch, stump, syncope, syneresis, tatter, truncation