From Italian coda
- (RP) IPA: /ˈkəʊ.də/
- (US) IPA: /ˈkoʊ.də/
Audio (US) noicon (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊdə
- Homophone: coder (in non-rhotic dialects)
NounCoda (plural Codas)
- (music) A passage which brings a movement or piece to a conclusion through prolongation.
- (linguistics) The optional final part of a syllable, placed after its nucleus, and usually composed of one or more consonants.
- The word salts has three consonants — /l/, /t/, and /s/ — in its coda, whereas the word glee has no coda at all.
- (geology) In seismograms, the gradual return to baseline after a seismic event. The length of the coda can be used to estimate event magnitude, and the shape sometimes reveals details of subsurface structures.
- The conclusion of a statement.
- Alternative spelling of CODA.
PS, Parthian shot, Z, accession, accessory, accompaniment, addenda, addendum, additament, addition, additive, additory, additum, adjunct, adjuvant, affix, afterthought, allonge, anacrusis, annex, annexation, apodosis, appanage, appendage, appendant, appendix, appurtenance, appurtenant, attachment, augment, augmentation, back matter, bass passage, bourdon, bridge, burden, cadence, catastrophe, ceasing, cessation, chorus, codicil, colophon, commentary, complement, conclusion, concomitant, consequence, consummation, continuance, continuation, corollary, crack of doom, culmination, curtain, curtains, death, decease, denouement, destination, destiny, development, division, doom, double take, dying words, effect, enclitic, end, end point, ending, envoi, epilogue, eschatology, expiration, exposition, extension, extrapolation, fate, figure, final solution, final twitch, final words, finale, finality, finis, finish, fixture, folderol, follow-through, follow-up, goal, harmonic close, increase, increment, infix, interlineation, interlude, intermezzo, interpolation, introductory phrase, izzard, last, last breath, last gasp, last things, last trumpet, last words, latter end, marginalia, measure, movement, musical phrase, musical sentence, note, offshoot, omega, ornament, part, parting shot, passage, payoff, pendant, period, peroration, phrase, postface, postfix, postlude, postscript, prefix, proclitic, quietus, refrain, reinforcement, resolution, response, resting place, rider, ritornello, scholia, second thought, section, sequel, sequela, sequelae, sequelant, sequent, sequitur, side effect, side issue, stanza, statement, stoppage, stopping place, strain, subscript, suffix, supplement, swan song, tag, tail, tailpiece, term, terminal, termination, terminus, tutti, tutti passage, undergirding, variation, verse, windup
- (end of a music piece): finale
Coda f. (plural codi)
From Italian coda
- IPA: /kɔ.da/
Coda f. (plural Codas)
- (music) A musical coda.
- (linguistics) A syllable coda.
- Third-person singular indicative past historic form of coder
- IPA: [ˈkɔd̪ˠə]
- genitive singular form of cuid
| Note: Some of these forms may be hypothetical. Not every|
possible mutated form of every word actually occurs.
- IPA: [ˈkoda]
coda f. (plural code)