Definition from zikkir, the free dictionary
- (of a thing) Having a low temperature.
- (of the weather) Causing the air to be cold.
- (of a person or animal) Feeling the sensation of coldness, especially to the point of discomfort.
- Unfriendly, emotionally distant or unfeeling.
- Dispassionate, not prejudiced or partisan, impartial.
- Completely unprepared; without introduction.
- Unconscious or deeply asleep; deprived of the metaphorical heat associated with life or consciousness.
- (usually with "have" or "know" transitively) Perfectly, exactly, completely; by heart.
- (usually with "have" transitively) Cornered, done for.
NounCold (plural Colds)
- A condition of low temperature.
- (medicine) A common, usually harmless, viral illness, usually with congestion of the nasal passages and sometimes fever.
Adjectives for Cold
- (illness) harrassing; head; chest; bronchial; miserable ; stubborn.
- (weather) hostile; icy; intense; biting; deadly; stinging; cruel; casual; arctic; deathlike; encroaching; inescapable; bitter; paralyzing; freezing; wondrous; immense; retreating; purifying; interminable; midnight; piercing; stubborn; extreme; troublesome; ambient; heavy; penetrating; Stygian; monstrous.
Verbs for Cold
- (illness) dispose toward―; down by―; engender―; expose to―; guard against―s; indispose by―; nurse―; predispose to―; resist―; subject to―; ―lowers resistance; ―strikes; ―subsides; ―weakens.
- (weather) blanket against―; brave―; chatter with―; endure―; expose to―; huddle in―; inure to―; paralyze by―; resist―; stem―; ―abates; ―bites; ―blasts; ―creeps in; ―freezes; ―nips; ―persists; ―pinches; ―refreshes.
Adverbs for Cold
- (weather) uncomfortably; intolerably; unfortunately; impossibly; frigidly; bitingly; piercingly; icily; wintrily; disagreeably; inconveniently; unpleasantly; uninvitingly; unluckily;terrifically; dreadfully; frightfully; unnecessarily; dangerously; intensely; cruelly; penetratingly; increasingly; freezingly; nippily; perilously; unbearably.
Synonyms for Cold
- (of a thing, having a low temperature): chilled, chilly, freezing, frigid, glacial, icy, cool
- (of the weather): (UK, slang) brass monkeys, nippy, parky, taters
- (of a person or animal):
- (unfriendly): aloof, distant, hostile, standoffish, unfriendly, unwelcoming
- (unprepared): unprepared, unready
- (low temperature): coldness
- (illness): common cold, coryza, head cold
Antonyms for Cold
- (having a low temperature): baking, boiling, heated, hot, scorching, searing, torrid, warm
- (of the weather): hot (See the corresponding synonyms of hot.)
- (of a person or animal): hot (See the corresponding synonyms of hot.)
- (unfriendly): amiable, friendly, welcoming
- (unprepared): prepared, primed, ready
- (UK) IPA: /kəʊld/, SAMPA: /k@Uld/
- (US) enPR: kōld, IPA: /koʊld/, SAMPA: /koUld/
Audio (UK) noicon (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊld
Audio (US) noicon (file)
Old English cald, the Anglian form of West Saxon ċeald, from Proto-Germanic *kaldaz, a participle form of *kal- (“cold”). Cognate with West Frisian kâld, Dutch koud, German kalt, Swedish kall, Danish kold.
Terms derived from the adjective cold
having a low temperature
of the weather
of a person