- (transitive) To obtain; to get, especially by chance or involuntarily.
- Somehow he came by a substantial fortune.
- A loyal friend is hard to come by.
- (intransitive) To come near to; to pass; to visit.
- Your beau came by while you were shopping.
accept, acquire, admit, assume, bag, be seized of, call, capture, catch, come in for, come into, come over, contract, corral, derive, derive from, drag down, draw, draw from, drop in, earn, enter into possession, gain, get, harvest, have, have coming in, heir, inherit, look in, look up, make, net, obtain, pop in, procure, pull down, reap, receive, run in, sack, score, secure, see, step in, succeed to, take, take in, take on, take over, win