- (transitive) To assess the similarities and differences between two or more things ["to compare X with Y"]. Having made the comparison of X with Y, one might have found it similar to Y or different from Y.
- (transitive) To declare two things to be similar in some respect ["to compare X to Y"].
- (transitive)(grammar) To form the three degrees of comparison of (an adjective).
- (intransitive) To be similar (often used in the negative).
Adverbs for Compare
invidiously; egotistically; unavoidably; faithfully; favorably; unintentionally; approvingly; challengingly; odiously; metaphorically; significantly; caustically; classically; drolly; poignantly; dismayingly; conscientiously; directly; accurately; unfavorably; brutally; inevitably; aptly.
analogize, ape, appear like, approach, approximate, assimilate, associate, balance, be commensurable, be comparable, be like, be redolent of, bear resemblance, bracket, bring into analogy, bring into comparison, bring to mind, call to mind, call up, collate, come close, come near, come up to, compare and contrast, compare to, compare with, compete with, confront, consider, contemplate, contrast, copy, correlate, correspond, counterfeit, counterpose, draw a comparison, draw a parallel, equal, evoke, examine, favor, follow, imitate, inspect, juxtapose, liken, liken to, look like, match, match up with, measure against, measure up to, metaphorize, mimic, mirror, near, nearly reproduce, not compare with, not tell apart, observe, oppose, paragon, parallel, partake of, place against, ponder, refer, relate, remind one of, resemble, rival, run a comparison, savor of, scan, scrutinize, seem like, set in contrast, set in opposition, set off against, set over against, similize, simulate, size up, smack of, sound like, stack up with, study, suggest, take after, touch, vie, vie with, view together, weigh, weigh against
- first-person singular present indicative of comparer
- third-person singular present indicative of comparer
- first-person singular present subjunctive of comparer
- third-person singular present subjunctive of comparer
- second-person singular imperative of comparer
compare m. (plural compari)
- third-person singular present indicative of comparire
- second-person singular present active imperative of compāreō
Compare (infinitive comparar)
- Formal second-person singular (usted) imperative form of comparar.
- First-person singular (yo) present subjunctive form of comparar.
- Formal second-person singular (usted) present subjunctive form of comparar.
- Third-person singular (él, ella, also used with usted?) present subjunctive form of comparar.