NounControversy (plural controversies)
Adjectives for Controversy
perplexing; pending; long-standing; religious; violent; acrimonious; vehement; tedious; frequent; painful; external; important; bitter; political; sectarian; ferocious; exciting; pending; contemptible; heated; long; warm; drawn-out; endless; intricate; arduous; acrid; terrific; lively; scorching; threatening; dangerous; ancient; long-forgotten; legal; economic; international; diplomatic; clerical; parlor; silly; unfortunate; unexpected; waning.
Verbs for Controversy
- appraise—; arouse—; avoid—; carry on—; clarify—; cut through—; dismiss—; engage in—; entangle in—; involve in—; judge—; occasion—; perpetuate—; plunge into—; precipitate—; shrink from—; stir up—; suppress—; sway by—; unleash—; view—; wage—; —arises from; —blasts; —convulses; —fizzles; —flares; —rages; —spits.
- produce—; relieve—; suffer—; treat—; —bruises; —crushes; —enervates; —heals; —incapacitates; —injures; —swells.
Synonyms for Controversy
Antonyms for Controversy
argument, argumentation, bicker, bickering, blood feud, brawl, broil, casuistry, cat-and-dog life, clashing, combat, conflict, confrontation, contention, contentiousness, contest, contestation, contradiction, cut and thrust, debate, defense, difference, disaccord, disaccordance, disagreement, discord, discordance, discordancy, discrepancy, disharmony, disparity, disputation, dispute, dissension, dissent, dissidence, dissonance, disunion, disunity, divergence, diversity, donnybrook, donnybrook fair, embroilment, enmity, faction, falling-out, feud, fight, fighting, fliting, flyting, fracas, fuss, hassle, hostility, hubbub, hurrah, imbroglio, inaccordance, inequality, jarring, litigation, logomachy, miff, negation, open quarrel, opposition, oppugnancy, paper war, passage of arms, polemic, polemics, quarrel, quarreling, quarrelsomeness, questioning, repugnance, rhubarb, rumpus, scrapping, set-to, sharp words, slanging match, snarl, spat, squabble, squabbling, strife, struggle, tiff, tussle, unharmoniousness, variance, vendetta, verbal engagement, war, war of words, warfare, words, wrangle, wrangling
- (US, Canada) IPA: /ˈkɑntɹəˌvɝsi/, /ˈkɑntʃɹəˌvɝsi/, SAMPA: /"kAntr\@%v3`si/
- (UK) IPA: /ˈkɒntrəvəːsi (most common);
- IPA: /kənˈtɹɒvəsi/ (older, less common), SAMPA: /k@n"tr\Qv@si/