NounCopy (plural copies)
- The result of copying (confer original); an identical duplication.
- An imitation, sometimes of inferior quality.
- (journalism) The text that is to be typeset.
- (marketing) The output of copywriters, who are employed to write material which encourages consumers to buy goods or services.
- (uncountable) The text of newspaper articles.
- A school work pad.
- A printed edition of a book or magazine.
- (transitive) To produce an object identical to a given object.
- (transitive, computing) To place a copy of an object in memory for later use.
- (transitive) To imitate.
- (transitive) (radio) Receive a transmission successfully.
Adjectives for Copy
- (General) spirited; modified; examined; literal; certified; advance; drab; uninteresting; exact; laborious; attested; feeble; unique; mimeographed; photostatic; burlesque; fair; fragmentary; engrossed; virtuous; identical; pale; lame; stray; questionable; fraudulent; plaster; unexpurgated.
- (Journalism) badly-typed; blue-penciled; interlined; intelligible; transcribed; thumb-worn; sadly-deleted; smudgy.
- (Reproduction) authentic; accurate; flattering; pathetic; preposterous; sketchy; veritable.
Verbs for Copy
- (General) arrange—; butcher—; deride—; damage—; edit—; enliven—; expand—; improve—; lengthen—; outline—; overbalance—; overdo—; point up—; read—; rearrange—; review—; set—; shorten—; simplify—; tone up—; write—; alter—; attest—; bequeath—; change—; collect—ies; distribute -ies; embellish—; forward—; garnish—; guard—; mail—; pattern—; refer to—; retain—; rewrite—; sign—; transcribe—; translate—; witness— appears; —exemplifies; —imitates; —reproduces.
- (Reproduction) apply for—; assign—to; defeat—; grant—; infringe on—; invalidate—; reconvey—; renew—; take out—; violate—; —expires; —protects; —secures.
Adverbs for Copy
accurately; silently; extensively; uninterestingly; literally; exactly; laboriously; uniquely; photostatically; fairly; fragmentarily; identically; fraudulently; faithfully.
counterfeit, counterpart, crayon, crib, crosshatch, cyclorama, dash off, daub, dead matter, dead ringer, delineate, delineation, depict, deputy, derive from, design, diagram, diptych, ditto, do, do a repeat, do again, do like, do over, document, doodle, double, draft, draw, draw up, drawing, dummy, dupe, duplicate, duplication, ebauche, echo, edit, edited version, edition, effigy, elevation, emulate, enact, enface, engraving, engross, engrossment, equal, equivalent, ersatz, esquisse, essay, evoke, exact counterpart, exact likeness, example, exchange, exclusive, facsimile, fair copy, fake, favor, fellow, fiction, figure, fill-in, final draft, finished version, first draft, flimsy, follow, forge, fresco, geminate, ghost, ghostwriter, go like, graph, ground plan, hatch, hectograph, hoke, hoke up, holograph, homograph, homonym, homophone, house plan, hymnal, hymnbook, ichnography, icon, idem, identical same, idol, illumination, illustration, image, imitate, imitation, impersonate, impress, impression, imprint, infringe, ingeminate, inscribe, instrumental score, issue, knockoff, letter, library, library edition, libretto, likeness, limn, literae scriptae, literary artefact, literary production, literature, live matter, living image, living picture, locum tenens, look like, lucubration, lute tablature, make a recension, make like, make out, make over, make use of, makeshift, manifold, manuscript, masquerade as, match, mate, matter, metaphor, metonymy, microcopy, microfilm, mime, mimeo, mimeograph, mimic, miniature, mirror, mirroring, mock, mock-up, model, montage, mosaic, multigraph, multiply by two, mural, music, music paper, music roll, musical notation, musical score, near, nearly reproduce, news item, next best thing, no other, none other, nonfiction, not tell apart, notation, number, opera, opera score, opus, orchestral score, original, outline, paint, paint a picture, palingenesis, panorama, pantomime, paper, parallel, paraphrase, parchment, parody, parrot, part, partake of, pass for, pattern, pen, pencil, penscript, perform, personate, personnel, phony, photocopy, photograph, piano score, picture, picturize, piece, piece of writing, pinch hitter, pirate, plagiarize, play, play a part, plot, poem, portrait, portray, pose as, pretend to be, print, printed matter, printing, printout, production, profile, projection, proxy, push the pen, put in writing, quadruplicate, quote, re-create, re-creation, re-form, re-formation, reading matter, rebirth, rebuild, rebuilding, recense, recension, reconstitute, reconstitution, reconstruct, reconstruction, record, redesign, redo, redoing, redouble, reduplicate, reduplication, reecho, reedition, reestablish, reestablishment, refashion, refashioning, reflect, reflection, refound, regenerate, regeneration, regenesis, regurgitate, reincarnate, reinstitute, reinstitution, reissue, relief, remake, remaking, remind one of, renascence, renew, renovate, renovation, reorganization, reorganize, repeat, repetition, replacement, replica, replicate, replication, representation, representative, reprint, reprinting, reproduce, reproduction, resemblance, resemble, reserves, reshape, reshaping, restoration, restore, restructure, restructuring, resurrect, resurrection, revise, revision, revival, revive, rewrite, ringer, rough, rubbing, sample, savor of, say again, school edition, scoop, score, scratch, screed, scribe, scrip, script, scrive, scroll, scumble, second draft, second string, secondary, seem like, selfsame, semblance, series, set, shade, shadow, sham, sheet music, short score, sign, similitude, simulacrum, simulate, skeleton, sketch, smack of, songbook, songster, sound like, spares, specimen, spill ink, spit and image, spitting image, spoil paper, spot news, stack up with, stained glass window, stand-in, standing matter, stat, steal, stencil, still life, story, sub, substituent, substitute, substitution, succedaneum, suggest, superscribe, superseder, supplanter, surrogate, symbol, synecdoche, synonym, tablature, table, tableau, take, take after, take off, take on, take over, tapestry, text, the same, the same difference, the written word, third string, tint, token, trace, tracing, trade book, trade edition, transcribe, transcript, transcription, travesty, triplicate, triptych, twin, type, typescript, understudy, utility player, version, very image, very picture, very same, vicar, vice-president, vice-regent, vocal score, volume, wall painting, work, working drawing, write, write down, write out, writing, written music, Doppelganger, Photostat, Xerox, abstract, abstraction, act, act a part, act as, act like, act out, actual thing, adopt, affect, agent, altarpiece, alternate, alternative, analogy, ape, appear like, approach, appropriate, approximate, arrangement, article, assume, autograph, back number, backup, be like, be redolent of, bear resemblance, beat, block print, blueprint, borrow, brainchild, bring to mind, brouillon, budget of news, burlesque, call to mind, call up, carbon, carbon copy, cartoon, chalk, change, changeling, charcoal, chart, chorus, clone, collage, collection, color, color print, come again, come close, come near, companion, compare with, comparison, composed matter, composition, computer printout, copy out, correspond.
- carbon copy
- The translations below need to be checked.
Declension of Copy (type valo)