NounCrown (plural Crowns)
- A reward of victory or a mark of honor.
- A royal, imperial or princely headdress; a diadem.
- A representation of such a headdress, as in heraldry; it may even be that only the image exists, no physical crown, as in the case of the kingdom of Belgium; by analogy such crowns can be awarded to moral persons that don't even have a head, as the mural crown for cities in heraldry
- A wreath or band for the head.
- Imperial or regal power, or those who wield it.
- Treasure trove automatically becomes property of the Crown.
- The topmost part of the head.
- The highest part a hill.
- The top part of a hat.
- The raised centre of a road.
- The highest part of an arch.
- Splendor, finish, culmination.
- crown achievement
- Any currency (originally) issued by the crown (regal power) and often bearing a crown (headdress)
- Specifically, a former British coin worth five shillings.
- (botany) The part of a plant where the root and stem meet.
- (anatomy) The part of a tooth above the gums.
- (dentistry) A prosthetic covering for a tooth.
- (nautical) A knot formed in the end of a rope by tucking in the strands to prevent them from unravelling
- (nautical) The part of an anchor where the arms and the shank meet
- (paper) A standard size of printing paper measuring 20 inches x 15 inches.
- (chemistry) A monocyclic ligand having three or more binding sites, capable of holding a guest in a central location
- (reward of victory or a mark of honor): award, garland, honor/honour, prize, wreath
- (royal, imperial or princely headdress): coronet
- (representation of such a headdress):
- (wreath or band for the head): garland, wreath
- (imperial or regal power): monarchy, royalty
- (of the head): apex, top
- (of a hill): apex, peak, summit, top
- (centre of a road):
- (highest part of an arch):
- (of a hat): top
- (splendor, finish, culmination): completion, culmination, finish, splendor/splendour
- (British coin): caser
- (part of plant):
- (anatomy: part of tooth): corona
- (dentistry: prosthetic covering for a tooth):
Crown (not comparable)
- Of, related to, or pertaining to a crown.
- crown prince
- Of, related to, pertaining to the top of a tree or trees.
- a crown fire
- To place a crown on the head of.
- To formally declare (someone) a king or emperor.
- To declare (someone) a winner.
- (medicine) Of a baby, during the birthing process; for the surface of the baby's head to appear in the vaginal opening.
- The mother was in the second stage of labor and the fetus had just crowned, prompting a round of encouragement from the midwives.
- To hit on the head
- (video games) To shoot an opponent in the back of the head with a shotgun in a first-person shooter video game.
- (board games) In checkers, to stack two checkers to indicate that the piece has become a king.
- “Crown me!” I said, as I moved my checker to the back row.
Find words for Crown
silken ; crimson; golden; glittering; olive; thorny; kingly; giddy; accursed; treacherous; fruitless; glorious; admired; tufted; starry; molten; embellished; hemispherical; woven; brilliant; rejected; glistening; fadeless; celestial; hoary; clustering; bloomless flaming; imperial; dread; piercing; blessed laurel; tiny; jeweled; caplike; magnificent discarded; pointed; long-expected; unused.
anoint —; aspire to —; bear —; bequeath ——; blemish —; bless —; cast away —; claim —; conform to —; corrupt —; deliver up —; deprive — of; deprive of —; disgrace —; disown —; encompass by —; gild —; inherit —; lay aside —; lift off —; merit —; offer —; pawn —; profane —; raise —; ransom —; refuse —; reject —; remove —; renounce —; repossess —; re¬sign —; revere —; sear —; serve —; shave —; spurn —; tear off —; wear —; weave —; wreathe —; yield to —; yield up —; — flourishes; — rules; — shines.
visibly; fittingly; spiritually; goldenly; glitteringly; gloriously; brilliantly; celestially; imperially; magnificently.
Her Highness, Her Majesty, His Majesty, O, Old Mug, achievement, acme, aggrandize, alerion, all, animal charge, anklet, annular muscle, annulet, annulus, anoint, apex, apogee, apotheose, apotheosize, areola, argent, armlet, armorial bearings, armory, arms, aureole, authority, azure, baby tooth, bandeau, bangle, bar, bar sinister, baton, bawbee, bays, beads, bean, bearings, beatify, bend, bend sinister, bicuspid, bijou, billet, blanket, blazon, blazonry, bonnet, bordure, bracelet, bracket capital, breastpin, broad arrow, brooch, brow, bucktooth, button up, cadency mark, canine, canonize, canton, cap, cap of dignity, cap of maintenance, capital, capsheaf, capstone, caput, carry to completion, ceil, ceiling, ceiling fixture, chain, chair, chandelier, chaplet, charge, charm, chatelaine, chevron, chief, circle, circlet, circuit, circumference, circus, cite, civic crown, clean up, climax, close out, close up, closed circle, cloud nine, coat of arms, cockatrice, coif, coin, complete, conclude, consummate, copestone, cork, cornice, corona, corona lucis, coronal, coronet, crescent, crest, cross, cross moline, crown with laurel, culmen, culminate, culmination, cup, cuspid, cutter, cycle, deciduous tooth, decorate, deify, dent, denticle, denticulation, dentil, dentition, develop, device, diadem, difference, differencing, discus, disk, do honor, do to perfection, dogtooth, dollar, dome, dominion, double eagle, doubloon, ducat, duodecimo, eagle, earring, edge, eighteenmo, electrolier, elevate, emperor, empress, end, ennoble, enshrine, enthrone, ermine, ermines, erminites, erminois, escutcheon, eternal return, exalt, extreme, extreme limit, extremity, eyetooth, fairy ring, falcon, fang, farthing, fess, fess point, field, file, fillet, final stroke, final touch, finalize, finish, finish off, finish up, finisher, finishing stroke, five-dollar gold piece, fiver, flanch, fleur-de-lis, florin, fob, folio, fore tooth, fourpence, fourpenny, fret, frost, fur, fusil, gagtooth, gang tooth, garland, gasolier, gem, get done, get it over, get through, get through with, glamorize, glorify, glory, gold piece, gold tooth, government, great seal, griffin, grinder, groat, guinea, gules, gyron, half crown, half dollar, half eagle, halfpenny, halo, hard money, hat, hatchment, head, heading, headpiece, heaven, heavens, height, helmet, heraldic device, high noon, highest degree, highest pitch, highest point, honor, honor point, hood, ice, immortalize, impalement, impaling, imperial, improve, inaugurate, incisor, induct, inescutcheon, install, instate, invest, jewel, jurisdiction, king, label, lasso, last stroke, last touch, laurel, laurels, limit, lion, lionize, locket, logical circle, loop, looplet, loving cup, lozenge, luster, mag, magic circle, magnify, make legendary, mantling, marshaling, martlet, mascle, mature, maximum, medium, meg, meridian, metal, milk tooth, mite, moidore, molar, monarch, monkey, mop up, motto, mountaintop, mullet, napoleon, ne plus ultra, necklace, new pence, no place higher, noddle, noggin, nombril point, noodle, noon, noose, nose ring, np, nth degree, octavo, octodecimo, octofoil, or, orb, orbit, ordinary, orle, outtop, overarch, overcast, overlay, overspread, overtop, p, pale, palm, palms, paly, pate, pay regard to, pay tribute, peak, pean, peg, pence, penny, perfect, permanent tooth, pheon, piece, piece of money, piece of silver, pin, pinhead, pinnacle, pitch, pivot tooth, place, place in office, point, pole, poll, pony, pot, potentate, pound, pound sovereign, praise, precious stone, premolar, privy seal, purple, purple pall, purpure, put in, quarter, quartering, quarto, queen, quid, radius, raise, realm, regalia, render honor to, reward, rhinestone, ridge, ring, ripen, robe of state, rod, rod of empire, roll of coins, rondelle, roof, roof in, rose, rouleau, round, round out, roundel, royal, royal crown, rule, ruler, sable, saint, saltire, sanctify, saucer, scepter, sconce, scrivello, scutcheon, seal, set up, seventh heaven, sextodecimo, shield, shilling, signet, sixpence, sixteenmo, sky, snag, snaggletooth, sovereign, sovereignty, specie, sphincter, spire, spread eagle, stickpin, stone, stopper, subordinary, summit, super, surmount, ten-dollar gold piece, tenne, tenner, terminate, the whole, threepence, threepenny bit, thrippence, throne, tiara, tincture, tip, tip-top, tooth, top, top off, top out, topknot, torque, torse, tressure, triple plume, trophy, tuppence, tush, tusk, twelvemo, twenty-dollar gold piece, twopence, unicorn, uplift, upmost, upper extremity, uppermost, uraeus, utmost, utmost extent, uttermost, vair, vert, vertex, very top, vicious circle, wampum, wheel, wind up, wisdom tooth, wrap up, wreath, wristband, wristlet, yale, zenith
From Latin corona (“wreath”)
- (RP) IPA: /kraʊn/, SAMPA: /kraUn/
- (Can we verify this pronunciation?) (US) enPR: kroun, IPA: /kroʊn/, SAMPA: /kroUn/
Audio (CA) noicon (file)
- Rhymes: -aʊn
- The translations below need to be checked.