NounDean (plural Deans)
- a senior official in a college or university, who may be in charge of a division or faculty (for example, the dean of science) or have some other advisory or disciplinary function (for example, the dean of students)
- a dignitary or presiding officer in certain church bodies, especially an ecclesiastical dignitary, subordinate to a bishop, in charge of a chapter of canon
- the senior member of some group of people
- dean of the diplomatic corps - a country's most senior ambassador
- dean of the House - the longest-serving member of a legislature
- (Sussex) a hill (chiefly place names).
Find words for Dean
callous; pompous; incompetent; meticulous; impeccable; impinging; smug.
A per se, Grand Penitentiary, Holy Father, abuna, academic dean, ace, administration, administrator, antipope, archbishop, archdeacon, archon, archpriest, bellwether, bishop, bishop coadjutor, boss, canon, cardinal, cardinal bishop, cardinal deacon, cardinal priest, champion, chancellor, chaplain, chief, chief executive, chief executive officer, coadjutor, commander, curate, dean of men, dean of women, diocesan, doyen, doyenne, ecclesiarch, elder, eldest, exarch, executive, executive director, executive officer, executive secretary, father, first-born, firstling, fugleman, genius, guide, head, headmaster, headmistress, hierarch, high priest, higher-up, important person, kingfish, kingpin, laureate, lead, leader, magistrate, management, managing director, master, metropolitan, nonpareil, officer, official, older, oldest, papa, paragon, patriarch, penitentiary, personage, pilot, pontiff, pope, prebendary, prefect, prelate, president, prexy, primate, principal, prodigy, provost, rector, ruler, rural dean, secretary, senior, sire, star, subdean, suffragan, superior, superman, superstar, the administration, the greatest, the most, top dog, treasurer, vicar, vice-chancellor, vice-president, virtuoso, warden
- third-person plural present subjunctive of dar