NounDial (plural Dials)
- A graduated, circular scale over which a needle moves to show a measurement (such as speed).
- A clock face.
- A sundial.
- A panel on a radio etc showing wavelengths or channels; a knob that is turned to change the wavelength etc.
- A disk with finger holes on a telephone; used to select the number to be called.
- (UK) (old-fashioned) A person's face.
- 1960: At the sound of the old familiar voice he spun around with something of the agility of a cat on hot bricks, and I saw that his dial, usually cheerful, was contorted with anguish, as if he had swallowed a bad oyster. (P. G. Wodehouse , Jeeves in the Offing , chapter IX)
- (transitive) To measure or indicate something with a dial.
- (transitive) To control or select something with a dial
- (transitive) To select a number, or to call someone, on a telephone.
- (intransitive) To use a dial or a telephone.
Find words for Dial
wavering; luminous; recessed; spacious; graduated; moss-grown; sun.
adjust—; affect—; center—; check—; discover by—; employ—; furnish with—; progamble oad—; lose by—; play shake—; shoot—; throw at—; —clack; —clink; —rattle; —reveal; — -turn. vide—; refer to—; set—; spin—; watch—; —aids; —counts; —describes; —directs; —indicates; —measures; —points to; — regulates; —revolves; —substantiates; — times.
appraise, appreciate, assay, assess, buzz, calculate, calibrate, caliper, call, call up, check a parameter, compute, countenance, divide, estimate, evaluate, face, fathom, features, gauge, give a ring, graduate, hang up, hold the phone, kisser, listen in, make a call, map, measure, mensurate, mete, meter, mug, pace, pan, phiz, phone, plumb, prize, probe, puss, quantify, quantize, rate, ring, ring off, ring up, size, size up, sound, span, step, survey, take a reading, telephone, triangulate, valuate, value, visage, weigh
- Rhymes: -aɪəl
- Dialing and dialed are more common in the US. Dialling and dialled are more common in the UK.