NounDifference (countable and uncountable; plural Differences)
- (uncountable) The quality of being different.
- You need to learn to be more tolerant of difference.
- (countable) A characteristic of something that makes it different from something else.
- There are three differences between these two pictures.
- (countable) A disagreement or argument.
- (countable, uncountable) Significant change in or effect on a situation or state.
- It just won't make much difference to me.
- it just won't make much of a difference to anyone.
- 1908, Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
- The line of the horizon was clear and hard against the sky, and in one particular quarter it showed black against a silvery climbing phosphorescence that grew and grew. At last, over the rim of the waiting earth the moon lifted with slow majesty till it swung clear of the horizon and rode off, free of moorings; and once more they began to see surfaces--meadows wide-spread, and quiet gardens, and the river itself from bank to bank, all softly disclosed, all washed clean of mystery and terror, all radiant again as by day, but with a difference that was tremendous.
- (countable, arithmetic) The result of a subtraction; sometimes the absolute value of this result.
- (The addition of quotations indicative of this usage is being sought): (transitive) To distinguish or differentiate.
Adjectives for Difference
sharp; marked; acute; honest; conscientious; noticeable; perceptible; decided; evident; inconsequent; infinitesimal; scant slight; petty; racial; psychological; mental religious; matrimonial; grave; insuperable subtle; bitter; radical; simulated; conceded; actual; essential; utmost; striking; outstanding; profound; vast; appreciable; noteworthy; tremendous; palpable; calm; assignable; important; fresh; material; vital; sad; qualitative; pathetic; supreme; happy; minute; amazing; factional; original; significant; indefinable; supposed superficial; magical; tribal; fundamental irrepressible; deep-seated; philosophical irreconcilable; prodigious; intrinsic; temporary; structural.
Verbs for Difference
acquaint with—; appreciate—; bury—s; cancel—; compensate for—; correlate with —s; debate—; define—; determine—; discern—; discuss—; dread—; expose—; illustrate—; master—; notice—; obliterate—; observe—; reconcile—s; rest—s; settle—; smooth out—; —appears; —arise; —estrange; —flare up; —prevents.
Synonyms for Difference
- (characteristic of something that makes it different from something else): departure, deviation, divergence
- (disagreement or argument about something important): conflict, difference of opinion, dispute, dissension
- (arithmetic: result of a subtraction): remainder
- (significant change in state): nevermind
- separation, disagreement, dissent, discord, distinction, variety, estrangement, deviation, inequality, dissimilarity, variation, inequality, disparity, unlikeness, discrepancy, discrimination, diversity.
Antonyms for Difference
- (quality of being different): identity, sameness
- agreement, similarity, consent, assent, concurrence, accord, harmony, amity, uniformity, unity, congruity.
aberrance, aberrancy, aberration, abnormality, abnormity, about-face, accommodation, account, achievement, adaptation, adjustment, aggregate, agreement to disagree, alerion, alienation, alteration, amelioration, amorphism, amount, animal charge, annulet, anomalism, anomalousness, anomaly, antagonism, apostasy, argent, argument, argumentation, armorial bearings, armory, arms, asymmetry, azure, bad copy, bad likeness, balance, bandeau, bar, bar sinister, baton, bearings, bend, bend sinister, betterment, billet, blazon, blazonry, bordure, box score, break, broad arrow, cadency mark, camouflage, canton, capriciousness, cast, change, change of heart, changeability, changeableness, chaplet, character, characteristic, charge, chevron, chief, choppiness, clash, clashing, coat of arms, cockatrice, conflict, constructive change, contention, continuity, contradiction, contradistinction, contrariety, contrast, controversy, conversion, coronet, count, counter-culture, credit, crescent, crest, cross, cross moline, cross-purposes, crown, dappleness, defection, deficit, degeneration, degenerative change, derangement, deterioration, deviation, device, difference of opinion, differencing, differentiate, differentiation, difficulty, disaccord, disaccordance, disagreement, disapprobation, disapproval, discern, discontinuity, discord, discordance, discordancy, discrepancy, discriminate, disequilibrium, disguise, disharmony, disorder, disparity, disproportion, dispute, dissatisfaction, dissemblance, dissension, dissent, dissentience, dissidence, dissimilarity, dissimilation, dissimilitude, dissonance, distinction, distinguish, disunion, disunity, divarication, divergence, divergency, diversification, diversion, diversity, dividedness, division, dropping out, eagle, eccentricity, epact, ermine, ermines, erminites, erminois, erraticism, escutcheon, extricate, faction, falcon, fess, fess point, field, file, fitting, flanch, fleur-de-lis, flip-flop, fret, fur, fusil, garland, gradual change, griffin, gules, gyron, hatchment, helmet, heraldic device, heterogeneity, heteromorphism, honor point, idiosyncrasy, imbalance, impalement, impaling, improvement, inaccordance, inadequacy, incommensurability, incomparability, incongruity, inconsistency, inconstancy, inequality, inequity, inescutcheon, inferiority, injustice, instability, insufficiency, irregularity, jarring, jerkiness, label, leftovers, lion, lozenge, makeup, mantling, marshaling, martlet, mascle, melioration, mercuriality, mere caricature, metal, metamorphosis, minority opinion, misunderstanding, mitigation, modification, modulation, monstrosity, motleyness, motto, mullet, mutability, nature, negation, net, nombril point, nonagreement, nonassent, nonconcurrence, nonconformism, nonconformity, nonconsent, nonstandardization, nonuniformity, number, octofoil, odds, opposition, oppugnancy, or, ordinary, orle, otherness, overbalance, overthrow, pale, paly, pean, peculiarity, pheon, polarization, poor imitation, product, purpure, qualification, quantity, quarrel, quarter, quartering, radical change, raggedness, re-creation, realignment, reckoning, recusance, recusancy, redesign, reform, reformation, rejection, remainder, remaking, renewal, repudiation, repugnance, reshaping, rest, restructuring, reversal, revival, revivification, revolution, rose, sable, saltire, score, scutcheon, secession, separate, sever, severalize, shield, shift, shortcoming, spread eagle, strife, subnormality, subordinary, sudden change, sum, summation, superiority, surplus, switch, tale, tally, tenne, teratism, the bottom line, the story, the whole story, tincture, torse, total, total change, transformation, transition, tressure, turn, turnabout, unbalance, unconformism, unconformity, underground, unevenness, unfair discrimination, unharmoniousness, unicorn, unlikeness, unnaturalism, unnaturalness, unorthodoxy, unresemblance, unsameness, unsimilarity, unsteadiness, upheaval, vair, variability, variance, variation, variegation, variety, variousness, versatility, vert, violent change, wavering, whole, withdrawal, worsening, wreath, x number, yale
- The translations below need to be checked.
- Difference in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- Difference in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911