- (transitive) To distribute or arrange methodically; to work over and classify; to reduce to portions for ready use or application.
- to digest laws
- (transitive) To separate (the food) in its passage through the alimentary canal into the nutritive and nonnutritive elements; to prepare, by the action of the digestive juices, for conversion into blood; to convert into chyme.
- (transitive) To think over and arrange methodically in the mind; to reduce to a plan or method; to receive in the mind and consider carefully; to get an understanding of; to comprehend.
- (transitive, chemistry) To soften by heat and moisture; to expose to a gentle heat in a boiler or matrass, as a preparation for chemical operations.
- (intransitive) To undergo digestion; as, food digests well or ill.
NounDigest (plural Digests)
- That which is digested; especially, that which is worked over, classified, and arranged under proper heads or titles
- A compilation of statutes or decisions analytically arranged; a summary of laws.
- Comyn's Digest
- the United States Digest
- Any collection of articles, as an Internet mailing list "digest" including a week's postings, or a magazine arranging a collection of writings.
- Reader's Digest is published monthly.
- a weekly Email digest is sent on an email list with all the messages exchanged during a week.
- (compilation of statutes or decisions analytically arranged): The term is applied in a general sense to the Pandects of Justinian, but is also specially given by authors to compilations of laws on particular topics.
Adjectives for Digest
interesting; careful; considered; chronological ; fact.
Adverbs for Digest
complacently; rapidly; internally; interestingly; carefully; chronologically; intelligently; mentally; cleverly; briefly.
Synonyms for Digest
- (distribute or arrange methodically): arrange, sort, sort out
- (separate food in the alimentary canal):
- (think over and arrange methodically in the mind): sort out
- (chemistry, soften by heat and moisture):
- (undergo digestion):
- transform, assimilate, ponder, order, arrange, absorb, prepare, weigh, shorten, abridge, condense, classify.
Antonyms for Digest
Code Napoleon, Napoleonic code, abbreviate, abbreviation, abbreviature, abide, ablate, abrege, abridge, abridgement, abridgment, absorb, abstract, accept, adsorb, alphabetize, analyze, appreciate, apprehend, appropriate, arrange, assimilate, assort, be abstracted, be with one, bear, bleed white, blot, blot up, body of law, break down, brief, brood, brood over, brook, burn up, capitulary, capsule, catalog, catch, catch on, categorize, census, chemisorb, chemosorb, chew over, chew the cud, class, classify, code, code of laws, codification, codify, compend, comprehend, compress, con over, conceive, condensation, condense, condensed version, consider, conspectus, consume, contemplate, corpus juris, cut, debate, deliberate, deliberate over, deliberate upon, deplete, dig, digest of law, disregard, divide, down, draft, drain, drain of resources, drink, drink in, drink up, eat, eat up, endure, engross, epitome, epitomize, equity, erode, exhaust, expend, fathom, file, filter in, finish, finish off, follow, get, get hold of, get the drift, get the idea, get the picture, go, gobble, gobble up, grade, grasp, group, have, have it taped, head, ignore, imbibe, impoverish, index, infiltrate, ingest, introspect, inventory, ken, know, learn, list, master, meditate, meditate upon, metabolize, mull over, muse, muse on, muse over, nutshell, order, osmose, outline, overview, pandect, penal code, percolate in, perpend, pigeonhole, place, play around with, play with, pocket, pocket the affront, ponder, ponder over, precis, predigest, range, rank, rate, read, realize, reduce, reflect, reflect over, resume, review, revolve, rubric, ruminate, ruminate over, run over, savvy, seep in, seize, seize the meaning, sense, shorten, shortened version, skeleton, sketch, slurp up, soak in, soak up, sorb, sort, speculate, spend, sponge, squander, stand, stomach, study, subdivide, suck dry, sum, sum up, summarize, summary, summate, survey, survive, swallow, swallow an insult, swallow up, swill up, syllabus, synopsis, synopsize, table, table of organization, tabulate, take, take in, take up, think over, thumbnail sketch, tolerate, topical outline, toy with, turn aside provocation, turn over, type, understand, use up, waste away, wear away, weigh
- enPR: dī-jĕstʹ or dĭ-jĕstʹ, IPA: /daɪˈdʒɛst/, SAMPA: /daI"dZEst/
Audio (US) noicon (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛst