- anxious or uneasy
- I'm distressed that John hasn't answered my calls. I hope nothing bad happened to him on the way here.
- (of merchandise etc) damaged
- (of a property) offered for sale after foreclosure
- (of furniture etc) faded or abused in order to appear old, or antique
- Simple past tense and past participle of distress.
abashed, afflicted, agitated, agonized, annoyed, anxious, badly off, beset, bothered, cast down, chagrined, chapfallen, confused, convulsed, crucified, discomfited, discomforted, discomposed, disconcerted, disquieted, distracted, distrait, disturbed, down to bedrock, embarrassed, feeling the pinch, harassed, hard up, harrowed, hung up, hurt, hurting, ill at ease, ill off, impecunious, in Queer Street, in distress, in narrow circumstances, in pain, in reduced circumstances, in straitened circumstances, inconvenienced, irked, lacerated, land-poor, martyred, martyrized, mortified, narrow, on the edge, on the rack, out of countenance, out of pocket, pained, perturbed, pinched, plagued, poor, poorly off, put to it, put-out, put-upon, puzzled, racked, reduced, short, short of cash, short of funds, short of money, sore beset, squeezed, straitened, strapped, suffering, tormented, tortured, troubled, twisted, uncomfortable, under the harrow, uneasy, unmoneyed, unprosperous, upset, vexed, worried, wounded, wrung