- not at or in the centre.
- not perfectly circular.
- having a different center.
- of a person, deviating from the norm; behaving unexpectedly or differently.
- "The recluse has become really eccentric over the years."
- (physiology) (of a motion) against or in the opposite direction of contraction of a muscle. (E.g. flexion of the lower arm (bending of the elbow joint) by an external force while contracting the triceps and other elbow extensor muscles to control that movement; opening of the jaw while flexing the masseter).
- 1956 — Arthur C. Clarke, The City and the Stars, p. 40
- Khedron was the only other person in the city who could be called eccentric.
NounEccentric (plural Eccentrics)
- One who does not behave like others.
- A disk or wheel with its axis off centre, giving a reciprocating motion.
- (slang) A kook.
Find words for Eccentric
highly; outlandishly; ostentatiously; fantastically; oddly; offensively; incurably; proudly; flagrantly; peculiarly; inexplicably; inscrutably; temperamentally; egotistically; exasperatingly; comically; pitiably; unfortunately; abnormally; wantonly; singularly; unaccountably; extravagantly; insanely; capriciously; whimsically; uncomfortably; unusually.
aberrant, abnormal, absurd, adrift, afloat, alien, alternating, amorphous, amusing, anomalistic, anomalous, beezer, bizarre, bohemian, broken, capricious, careening, case, catchy, caution, changeable, changeful, character, choppy, coot, crackpot, crank, crankish, cranky, crotchety, curious, desultory, deviable, deviant, deviative, different, dippy, disconnected, discontinuous, dissenter, divergent, dizzy, dotty, droll, duck, erratic, exceptionable, exceptional, fanatic, fantastic, fast and loose, fey, fickle, fitful, flake, flaky, flickering, flighty, flitting, fluctuating, formless, freak, freaked out, freakish, freaky, funny, giddy, grotesque, guttering, halting, heretic, herky-jerky, hermit, heteroclite, heteromorphic, hilarious, hobo, humorous, idiocratic, idiosyncratic, immethodical, impetuous, impulsive, incongruous, inconsistent, inconstant, indecisive, infirm, intermittent, intermitting, irregular, irresolute, irresponsible, jerky, kinky, kook, kooky, laughable, lone wolf, loner, ludicrous, lurching, maggoty, maverick, mazy, mercurial, meshuggenah, moody, natural, nonconformist, nonuniform, nut, nutty, odd, odd fellow, oddball, oddity, off, off the wall, off-balance, off-center, original, out, outlandish, outsider, pariah, passing strange, patchy, peculiar, priceless, quaint, queer, queer duck, queer fish, queer specimen, quirky, quiz, quizzical, rambling, rara avis, recluse, restless, rich, ridiculous, risible, rough, roving, scatterbrained, scrappy, screaming, screwball, screwy, shapeless, shifting, shifty, shuffling, singular, snatchy, solitary, spasmatic, spasmic, spasmodic, spastic, spineless, spook, sporadic, spotty, staggering, strange, strange duck, stray, straying, subnormal, tramp, twisted, type, unaccountable, unbalanced, uncentered, uncertain, unconformist, uncontrolled, unconventional, undependable, undisciplined, unearthly, unequal, uneven, unfixed, unmethodical, unmetrical, unnatural, unpredictable, unregular, unreliable, unrestrained, unrhythmical, unsettled, unstable, unstable as water, unstaid, unsteadfast, unsteady, unsystematic, vacillating, vagrant, variable, veering, vicissitudinary, vicissitudinous, volatile, wacky, wandering, wanton, wavering, wavery, wavy, wayward, weird, weirdo, whimsical, wishy-washy, witty, wobbling, wobbly, wondrous strange, zealot, zombie