- Understood only by a chosen few or an enlightened inner circle.
- The writing in this manual is very esoteric; I need a degree in engineering just to understand it!
- Having to do with concepts that are highly theoretical and without obvious practical application.
- Confidential; private.
- (understood only by a chosen few or an enlightened inner circle): arcane, recondite
- (highly theoretical; not practical): cerebral
- (confidential; private): secretive
absolute, abstract, abstruse, anagogic, arcane, auricular, between the lines, between us, cabalic, cabalistic, censored, certain, classified, close, closed, concealed, concrete, confidential, covert, cryptic, dark, deep, deep-seated, defined, definite, delitescent, detailed, determinate, different, distinct, distinguished, dormant, eerie, enigmatic, especial, exceptional, express, extramundane, extraordinary, extraterrestrial, fey, fixed, heavy, hermetic, hibernating, hidden, hush-hush, hypernormal, hyperphysical, immanent, implanted, implicit, in petto, inalienable, individual, indwelling, infixed, ingrained, inherent, inner, inside, internal, intimate, intrinsic, inward, inwrought, irreducible, latent, lurking, metaphysic, minute, muffled, mysterious, mystic, not for publication, noteworthy, numinous, obfuscated, obscured, occult, off the record, otherworldly, particular, personal, possible, potential, precise, preterhuman, preternatural, preternormal, pretersensual, private, privileged, profound, psychic, recondite, resident, respective, restricted, sealed, secret, several, singular, sleeping, smothered, solipsistic, special, specific, spiritual, stifled, subjective, submerged, superhuman, supernatural, supernormal, superphysical, supersensible, supersensual, suppressed, supramundane, supranatural, theosophical, theosophist, top secret, transcendental, transmundane, ulterior, unalienable, unbreatheable, unchallengeable, under privilege, under security, under the surface, under wraps, underlying, undisclosable, undisclosed, undivulgable, undivulged, unearthly, unhuman, unmanifested, unpublishable, unquestionable, unrevealable, unrevealed, unspoken, untellable, untold, unutterable, unuttered, unwhisperable, unworldly, veiled, virtual
From Ancient Greek ἐσωτερικός (esōterikos, “belonging to an inner circle”), from ἐσωτέρω (esōterō, “further inside”), comparative of ἔσω (esō, “within”), from ἐς (es), εἰς (eis, “into”) (esoteric originally referred to the secret teachings of Greek philosophers, versus public or exoteric ones).
- (UK) IPA: /ˌɛs.əʊˈtɛɹ.ɪk/, SAMPA: /%Es.@U"tEr.Ik/
- (US) IPA: /ˌɛs.əˈtɛɹ.ɪk/, /ˌɛs.oʊˈtɛɹ.ɪk/, enPR: ěsətěr'ĭk, ěsōtěr'ĭk, SAMPA: /%Es.@"tEr.Ik/, /%Es.oU"tEr.Ik/
Audio (US) noicon (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛrɪk
- The translations below need to be checked.