- (transitive) to put out, as in fire; to end burning; to quench
- (transitive) to destroy or abolish something
- She extinguished all my hopes.
- (transitive) to obscure or eclipse something
- The rays of the sun were extinguished by the thunder clouds.
- (transitive, psychology) to bring about the extinction of a conditioned reflex
- (transitive, literally) to hunt down (a species) to extinction
Adverbs for Extinguish
instantly; temporarily; instantaneously; abruptly; promptly; rudely; hastily; swiftly.
Synonyms for Extinguish
- (to put out fire or something burning):put out, quench, douse
- (end existence of something): kill, eradicate, annihilate
- abate, abolish, obscure, extirpate, exterminate, suppress, choke.
Antonyms for Extinguish
KO, abate, abolish, abscind, adumbrate, amputate, annihilate, asphyxiate, ban, banish, bar, blot out, blow out, bob, bottle up, call off, cancel, censor, choke, choke off, clamp down on, clip, complete, cork, cork up, crack down on, crop, crush, cull, cut, cut away, cut off, cut out, damp, damp down, delete, destroy, dim, dispose of, do away with, dock, douse, drop the curtain, drown, eclipse, eliminate, end off, enucleate, eradicate, except, excise, exclude, expunge, exterminate, extirpate, fake out, finalize, finish, fold up, gag, get it over, get over with, get through with, give the quietus, hold down, isolate, jump on, kayo, keep down, keep under, kibosh, kill, knock off, knock out, lop, mutilate, muzzle, nip, nullify, obliterate, obscure, out, outdo, overshadow, pare, peel, perfect, pick out, polish off, pour water on, prune, put down, put out, put paid to, put to shame, quash, quell, quench, remove, repress, root out, rule out, scrag, set apart, set aside, shave, shear, shoot down, show up, shut down on, silence, sit down on, sit on, slack, smash, smother, snuff, snuff out, squash, squelch, stamp out, stanch, stifle, strangle, strike off, strip, strip off, stultify, subdue, suffocate, suppress, take off, take out, throttle, trample out, trample underfoot, truncate, turn off, turn out, uproot, wipe, wipe out, zap
- The translations below need to be checked.