- Metaphorical or tropical, as opposed to literal; using figures; as of the use of "cats and dogs" in the phrase "It's raining cats and dogs".
- 2005 The Sea of Love
- The lovers she seems to pursue with her figurative language in fact retreat under the barrage of similes, metaphors and fables.
- Metaphorically so called
- With many figures of speech
- Said of language, expression, etc.
Synonyms for Figurative
adorned, algorismic, algorithmic, aliquot, allegoric, allegorical, allusive, anagogic, apish, associational, befrilled, cardinal, colored, connotational, connotative, decimal, decorated, definable, delineatory, demonstrative, denominative, denotational, denotative, depictive, designative, diagnostic, differential, digital, echoic, embellished, emblematic, embodying, embroidered, even, evidential, exhibitive, exponential, expressive, extended, extensional, fancy, festooned, figural, figurate, figured, finite, florid, flowery, fractional, full of meaning, full of point, full of substance, graphic, identifying, ideographic, idiosyncratic, illustrational, illustrative, imaginary, imitative, impair, implicative, impossible, incarnating, indicating, indicative, indicatory, individual, infinite, integral, intelligible, intensional, interpretable, irrational, limning, logarithmic, logometric, lush, luxuriant, mannered, meaning, meaningful, meaty, metaphorical, mimetic, mimish, naming, negative, numeral, numerary, numerative, numeric, odd, onomatopoeic, ordinal, ornamented, ornate, overcharged, overloaded, pair, pathognomonic, peculiar, personifying, pictographic, pictorial, pithy, pointed, portraying, positive, possible, pregnant, prime, purple, radical, rational, readable, real, reciprocal, referential, representational, representative, representing, semantic, semiotic, sententious, signalizing, significant, significative, signifying, simulative, submultiple, substantial, suggestive, surd, symbolic, symbolistic, symbolizing, symbological, symptomatic, symptomatologic, transcendental, transferred, trolatitious, tropological, typical, typifying, vivid
- Figurative in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- Figurative in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- Feminine plural form of figurativo