NounFlap (plural Flaps)
- Anything broad and flexible that hangs loose, or that is attached by one side or end and is easily moved.
- a flap of a garment
- The envelope flap seemed curiously wrinkled.
- A hinged leaf, as of a table or shutter.
- An upset, stir, scandal or controversy
- The comment caused quite a flap in the newspapers.
- The motion of anything broad and loose, or a stroke or sound made with it.
- the flap of a sail; the flap of a wing
- A disease in the lips of horses.
- (aviation) A hinged surface on the trailing edge of the wings of an aeroplane.
- (surgery) A piece of tissue incompletely detached from the body, as an intermediate stage of plastic surgery.
- (slang) Vagina.
- (upset): Thesaurus:commotion
- (transitive) To move (something broad and loose) back and forth.
- The crow slowly flapped its wings.
- (intransitive) To move loosely back and forth.
- The flag flapped in the breeze.
Adverbs for Flap
aimlessly; incessantly; irritatingly; monotonously; lustily; carelessly; impotently; characteristically.
Bedlam let loose, ado, agitation, applique, argument, bag, bang, baste, batter, beat, beating, bedlam, bicker, bilge, blain, blast, bleb, blister, blob, bluster, bobbery, boil, boiling, boss, bother, botheration, bow, box, brandish, brawl, broil, brouhaha, bubble, buffet, bulb, bulge, bulla, bump, bunch, burl, burst, bust, bustle, button, cacophony, cahot, cascade, chaos, charivari, chine, chirm, churn, clamor, clangor, clap, clash, clatter, clump, coat, coating, collop, commotion, condyle, confusion, conturbation, convex, covering, crack, crash, crump, cuff, cut, daggle, dance, dangle, deal, depend, din, discomposure, discord, disk, disorder, dispute, disquiet, disquietude, distress, disturbance, dither, donnybrook, dowel, drabble, drag, draggle, drape, droop, drub, drunken brawl, dustup, ear, ebullition, embroilment, excitement, fall, fanaticism, feery-fary, ferment, fermentation, feuille, fever, feverishness, fidgetiness, fidgets, film, fit, flail, flange, flapping, flaunt, flick, flicker, flip, flit, flitter, float, flop, flourish, flow, flurry, fluster, flusteration, flustration, flutter, flutteration, flutteriness, fly, foil, fold, foment, fomentation, foofaraw, fracas, free-for-all, frenzy, fret, fume, furor, furore, fury, fuss, fussiness, gall, gnarl, go pitapat, gutter, hammer, handle, hang, hang down, hell broke loose, hill, howl, hubbub, hue and cry, hullabaloo, hump, hunch, hurly-burly, imbrication, inquietude, jangle, jitters, jog, joggle, jumpiness, knob, knock, knot, knur, knurl, lambaste, lamella, lamina, laminated glass, laminated wood, lap, lappet, larrup, lash, lather, leaf, lip, loop, lop, loud noise, lump, maelstrom, malaise, maul, membrane, moil, mole, mountain, nerviness, nervosity, nervousness, nevus, nod, noise, noise and shouting, nub, nubbin, nubble, oscillate, oscillation, outcry, overlap, overlapping, overlay, overlayer, palpitate, palpitation, pandemonium, pane, panel, panic, papilloma, passion, paste, patina, patter, peel, peg, pellicle, pelt, pend, perturbation, pitapat, pitter-patter, plait, plank, plate, plating, ply, plywood, pommel, pother, pound, pucker, pulse, pulverize, pummel, quarrel, quiver, racket, rage, rap, rasher, rattle, report, restlessness, rhubarb, rib, ridge, ring, roar, roil, rout, row, ruckus, ruction, rumble, rumpus, safety glass, sag, scramble, scum, seethe, seething, shake, sheet, shindy, shivaree, shoulder, skin, slab, slam, slap, slat, sledgehammer, slice, smack, spank, spasm, spine, splat, splutter, spurt, sputter, state, stew, stir, storminess, stripe, stud, style, swag, swap, sweat, swing, swirl, swivet, tab, table, tablet, tail, tap, tempestuousness, thrash, thresh, throb, thump, thunder, thunderclap, thwack, tintamarre, tizzy, to-do, trail, trepidation, trepidity, tubercle, tubercule, tumult, tumultuation, tumultuousness, turbidity, turbulence, turmoil, twitter, twitteration, undulate, unease, unquiet, unrest, uproar, upset, veneer, verruca, vesicle, vibrate, vortex, wafer, wag, waggle, wale, wallop, wart, wave, waver, weep, welt, whack, wham, whap, whip, whirl, whomp, whop, wield, wigwag, wildness, zeal, zealousness
- The translations below need to be checked.