- Having no variations in altitude.
- (of a tire or other inflated object) Deflated, especially because of a puncture.
- (music, note) Lowered by one semitone.
- (music) Of a note or voice, lower in pitch than it should be.
- (music, voice) Without variations in pitch.
- Of a carbonated drink, with all or most of its carbon dioxide having come out of solution so that the drink no longer fizzes or contains any bubbles.
- (wine) Lacking acidity without being sweet.
- (slang) Describing certain features, usually the breasts or buttocks, that are extremely small or not visible at all.
- (of a battery) Unable to generate power; dead.
- (juggling, of a throw) without spin; spinless.
- So as to be flat.
- (with units of time, distance, etc) Not exceeding.
NounFlat (plural Flats)
- An area of level ground.
- (music) A note played a semitone lower than a natural, denoted by the symbol ♭ sign placed after the letter representing the note (e.g., B♭) or in front of the note symbol (e.g. ♭♪).
- (informal) A flat tyre/tire.
- (in the plural) A type of ladies' shoes with very low heels.
- She liked to walk in her flats more than in her high heels.
- (painting) A thin, broad brush used in oil and watercolor/watercolour painting.
- The flat part of something:
- A wide, shallow container.
- (New Zealand, UK) An apartment.
Adverbs for Flat
monotonously; tiresomely; vapidly; disagreeably; invariably; intolerably; uninterestingly; wearily; tediously; endlessly.
Synonyms for Flat
- (apartment): apartment
- (having no variations in altitude): even, planar, plane, smooth, uniform
- (deflated): deflated or punctured
- (without variations in pitch): monotone
- (uninteresting): boring, dull, uninteresting
- (of wine: lacking acidity): flabby
- tasteless, insipid, depressed, heavy, unpleasing, dejected, spiritless, prostrate, fallen, horizontal, level, positive, low, absolute, plane, flush.
- (so as to be flat):
- (bluntly): bluntly, curtly
- (not exceeding): tops
- (completely): absolutely, completely, utterly
Antonyms for Flat
- (having no variations in altitude): bumpy, cratered, hilly (of terrain), rough (of a surface), wrinkled (of a surface)
- (music: lowered by one semitone): sharp
- (music: lower in pitch than it should be): sharp
- (note): sharp
- (shoes): high heels
- acrid, bubbling, effervescing, lively, spirited, keen, frothy, raised, round, elevated, uneven, rugged, mountainous.
- flat out
- that's flat
- flat as a pancake
- flat rate
- that's flat
alluvial plain, alveolar, anemic, apace, apartment, apathetic, apical, apico-alveolar, apico-dental, arid, arrowlike, articulated, asbestos, asbestos board, ashen, ashy, assimilated, at full length, at full speed, at once, atonal, automatic, back, backdrop, baggage car, balanced, baldly, bank, bar, barren, barytone, basin, bated, batten, beat, betting house, betting parlor, bilabial, billiard table, blah, bland, blank, bled white, bloodless, bog, bony, border, boring, bottomland, bowling alley, bowling green, boxcar, brashly, brazenly, breve, broad, broke, bushveld, busted, caboose, cacophonous, cacuminal, cadaverous, campestral, campestrian, campo, car, carriage, casino, cataleptic, catatonic, categorical, categorically, central, cerebral, certain, chair car, chambers, champaign, champaign country, characterless, checked, chloranemic, clear, clerestory, close, cloth, coach, coal car, coastal plain, cold, cold-water flat, collapsed, colorless, common, commonplace, complete, completely, conclusive, consistent, consonant, consonantal, constant, continuant, continuous, coral reef, couchant, couche, coulisse, counterweight, covered waggon, cracked, crawling, creamy, crib, crotchet, crouched, cubic, curtain, curtain board, cyclorama, damped, dampened, day coach, dead, dead flat, dead level, dead straight, deadened, deadly pale, deathly pale, debased, decided, decisive, decor, decumbent, definite, definitely, definitive, deflated, delicate, delta, demisemiquaver, dental, depressed, desert, determinate, diaphonic, digs, dilute, diluted, dim, dimensional, dimmed, diner, dinghy, dingy, dining car, direct, directly, discolored, disconsonant, discordant, disharmonic, disharmonious, dismal, dissimilated, dissonant, dominant, dominant note, dopey, dormant, dorsal, double whole note, down, downright, downs, downy, drab, draggy, draped, drawing room, drearisome, dreary, drop, drop curtain, dry, dryasdust, dull, dulled, duplex, duplex apartment, dusty, earth, effete, eggshell, eighth note, elephantine, empty, enharmonic, enharmonic note, entire, entresol, equable, equal, esplanade, etiolated, even, evenly, exact, exactly, explicit, express, exsanguinated, exsanguine, exsanguineous, fade, faded, faint, fallow, featureless, fell, fen, final, fire curtain, firm, first floor, fixed, flat, flat broke, flat country, flat out, flat-chested, flat-out, flatcar, flatland, flatly, flats, flattened, flatways, flatwise, flavorless, fleshless, flipper, floor, flush, ford, forthwith, foul, fourth-dimensional, front, gambling den, gambling hall, gambling hell, gambling house, gaming house, gangling, gangly, garden apartment, gaunt, gawky, ghastly, glabrate, glabrescent, glabrous, glass, glide, global, gloss, glossal, glottal, gondola, grass veld, grassland, grating, gray, groggy, ground, ground floor, groveling, gruelly, guttural, haggard, half note, hanging, hard, harsh, heath, heavy, hell, hell for leather, hemidemisemiquaver, high, ho-hum, hollow, homaloid, homaloidal, homogeneous, horizontal, horizontal axis, horizontal fault, horizontal line, horizontal parallax, horizontal plane, horizontal projection, horizontally, hueless, humdrum, hypochromic, ice, immediately, immelodious, immutable, implicit, in a line, in abeyance, in suspense, inactive, inane, inappealable, indifferent, indisputable, indubitable, inert, inexcitable, inharmonic, inharmonious, insipid, intonated, invariable, iridescent, irrevocable, irrevocably, ivory, jejune, joint, knee-high, knocked flat, labial, labiodental, labiovelar, lackluster, laid low, lande, languid, languorous, lank, lanky, latent, lateral, lax, leaden, lean, lean-fleshed, lean-looking, ledge, leiotrichous, lengthways, lengthwise, level, level line, level plane, lifeless, light, like a shot, like greased lightning, lineal, linear, lingual, liquid, livid, living quarters, llano, local, lodgings, logy, lolling, lounging, low, low-built, low-hung, low-level, low-leveled, low-lying, low-set, low-spirited, low-statured, lowland, lowlands, luggage van, lunar mare, lurid, lusterless, lying, lying down, mahogany, mail car, mail van, marble, mare, marsh, mat, matte, matter-of-fact, meager, mealy, mean sea level, measured, mechanical, mellow, mesa, mesilla, methodic, mezzanine, mezzanine floor, mid, mild, milk-and-water, minim, monolithic, monophthongal, monotonous, moor, moorland, mother-of-pearl, muddy, muffled, mundane, musical note, musicless, muted, nacreous, narrow, nasal, nasalized, natural, neap, neutral, nonmelodious, note, occlusive, of a piece, off, off-key, off-tone, on a level, on the run, oofless, opalescent, open, open country, openly, ordered, orderly, ordinary, out of pitch, out of tone, out of tune, out-and-out, outright, outspread, outstretched, overthrown, oxytone, palace car, palatal, palatalized, pale, pale as death, pale-faced, pallid, pampa, pampas, pappy, parlor car, parterre, passenger car, passive, pastel, pasty, patent note, patinaed, pearly, pedestrian, peneplain, penthouse, peremptory, perfect, persistent, pharyngeal, pharyngealized, phlegmatic, phonemic, phonetic, phonic, pitch, pitched, plain, plainly, plains, plane, plateau, platform, playa, plodding, poetryless, pointless, poky, ponderous, poolroom, positive, positively, posttonic, prairie, prairies, precise, precisely, procumbent, prone, proportional, prosaic, prosing, prostrate, prosy, pulpy, punctured, quarter note, quaver, quickly, quiet, rag, railroad flat, railway car, rapidly, raucous, rawboned, reclining, rectilineal, rectilinear, recumbent, reef, reefer, refrigerator car, regular, rental, report, reposing, responding note, resupine, retroflex, rez-de-chaussee, right, robotlike, rolled, roomette, rooms, round, rounded, ruler-straight, runty, ruptured, sad, sallow, salt flat, salt marsh, salt pan, sandals, sandbank, sandbar, sapless, satin, savanna, savorless, scene, scenery, scraggy, scrawny, screen, sea level, sea of grass, sebkha, sedentary, semibreve, semigloss, semiquaver, semivowel, set of rooms, shallow, shallows, shaped note, sharp, shelf, shoal, shoal water, short, shrill, sickly, side scene, silk, simple, sixteenth note, sixty-fourth note, skeletal, skinny, slack, sleeper, sleeping, slide, slow, sluggish, slumbering, smoker, smoking car, smoldering, smooth, smooth-shaven, smooth-textured, smoothed out, smoothened, smothered, sober, soft, soft-colored, soft-hued, softened, solemn, somber, sonant, sordo, sour, space, space-time, spare, spatial, spatiotemporal, speedily, spherical, spiccato, spiceless, spidery, spindling, spindly, spiritless, sporting house, sprawled, sprawling, spread, spread out, squashed, squashed flat, squat, squatty, stable, staccato, stage screw, stagnant, stale, standard, standing, static, steadfast, steady, steppe, steppes, stereoscopic, sterile, stiff, stifled, stockcar, stodgy, stone-broke, stony, stooped, stopped, story, straight, straight-cut, straight-front, straight-out, straight-side, strand, strapped, streamlined, street floor, stressed, stretched out, strident, strong, studio, stuffy, stumpy, suave, subdued, subtle, suite, superficial, supine, surd, sure, surface, sustained note, swamp, sweet, swiftly, syllabic, systematic, tab, table, tableau, tableland, tabloid, tabular, tallow-faced, tame, tank, tasteless, teaser, tedious, tender, tenement, tennis court, tense, tercet, terrace, thick, thin, thin-bellied, thin-fleshed, thirty-second note, three-dimensional, throaty, tidal flats, tired, tiresome, tonal, tone, toneless, tonic, tormentor, torpid, total, transformation, transformation scene, tree veld, triplet, triplex, trodden, trodden flat, truck, true, tundra, tuneless, twangy, twiggy, two-dimensional, unaccented, unambiguous, unaroused, unbending, unbent, unbowed, unbroken, unchangeable, unchanged, unchanging, uncircumscribed, uncolored, uncompromisingly, unconditional, unconditioned, uncurved, undeflected, undersized, underweight, undeviating, undifferentiated, undistorted, undiversified, undoubting, unelevated, unembellished, unequivocal, unexciting, unflavored, unhampered, unharmonious, unhesitating, unidealistic, uniform, unimaginative, unimpassioned, uninteresting, uninterrupted, unlimited, unlively, unmelodious, unmistakable, unmitigated, unmodifiable, unmodified, unmusical, unpalatable, unpoetic, unpolished, unqualified, unquestionable, unquestioning, unrealistic, unreserved, unrestricted, unromantic, unrough, unroughened, unrounded, unruffled, unsavory, unshiny, unstressed, unswerving, untunable, untuned, untuneful, unturned, unvaried, unvarying, unwaivable, upland, upright, utter, utterly, van, vapid, vega, velar, veld, velvet, vertical, vocalic, vocoid, voiced, voiceless, volumetric, vowel, vowellike, waggon, wan, washed-out, washy, water level, watered, watered-down, watery, waxen, weak, weald, wetlands, whey-faced, white, whole, whole note, wholly, wide, wide-open spaces,
- From Old Norse flatr (Danish flad), akin to German Flöz (geological layer), Sanskrit प्रत्हस् (“extension”).
- 1795, alteration of Scots flet (“inner part of a house”), from Middle English flet (“dwelling”) from Old English flet, flett (“ground floor, dwelling”), from Proto-Germanic *flajan (“floor”) from Proto-Germanic *flataz (“flat”) from Proto-Indo-European *plat- (“flat”). Akin to Old Frisian flet, flette "dwelling, house". More at flat1</span>.
- The translations below need to be checked.
- third-person singular present active indicative of flō
- IPA: /flɑːt/
- (saucer): sàsar
- flat (having no variations in altitude)
- The sun was reflected in the flat surface of the mirror.
- spineless, being a doormat, abstaining from defending one's convictions