- Very comprehensive; pertaining or appropriate to large classes or groups as opposed to specific
- "...the essence is that such self-describing poets describe what is in them, but not peculiar to them,---what is generic, not what is special and individual." — Walter Bagehot (1826-1877)
- (biology) Of, or relating to a genus (not comparable)
- Not having a brand name
- Of a drug identified by its chemical name
- (grammar) Specifying neither masculine nor feminine e.g. salesperson
- (computing) (Of program code) Written so as to operate on any data type, the type required being passed as a parameter.
NounGeneric (plural Generics)
- A product sold under a generic name
- A wine that is a blend of several wines, or made from a blend of several grape varieties
Synonyms for Generic
Antonyms for Generic
abstract, bland, broad, collective, common, featureless, general, generalized, indefinite, indeterminate, nebulous, neutral, nonspecific, uncharacterized, undifferentiated, universal, unspecified, vague, wide
Formed in English from Latin genusgener-genus, kind.