- (ditransitive) To transfer the possession or holding of (something to someone or something else).
- (intransitive) To bend slightly when a force is applied.
- (ditransitive) To estimate or predict (a duration or probability for something).
- I give it ten minutes before he gives up.
- I give it a 95% chance of success.
- I'll give their marriage six months.
- (transitive) To provide, as, a service or a broadcast.
- They're giving my favorite show!
- 2003, Iain Aitken, Value-Driven IT Management: Commercializing the IT Function, page 153
- [...] who did not have a culture in which 'giving good presentation' and successfully playing the internal political game was the way up.
- 2006, Christopher Matthew Spencer The Ebay Entrepreneur, page 248
- A friendly voice on the phone welcoming prospective new clients is a must. Don't underestimate the importance of giving good "phone".
- (transfer possession of): donate, pass, transfer
- (bend slightly when a force is applied): bend, cede, flex, move, yield
- (estimate or predict): estimate, guess, predict
- (transfer possession of): get, obtain, receive, take
- (bend slightly when a force is applied): not bend/cede/flex/give/move/yield, resist
- (uncountable) The amount of bending that something undergoes when a force is applied to it.
- This chair doesn't have much give.
Adverbs for Give
exclusively; grudgingly; charitably; benevolently; abundantly; grumblingly; discrim-inately; spontaneously; magnificently; methodically; unsparingly; discreetly; conscientiously; periodically; impartially; infallibly; subsequently; wantonly; invariably; ultimately; intentionally; substantially; prodigally; legitimately.
abalienate, abandon, abstain from, accommodate, accord, act, adaptability, administer, afford, agreeability, aid, air, alien, alienate, allocate, allot, allow, amenability, amortize, announce, apply, apportion, appropriate, articulate, ascribe, assign, assist, attach, attribute, award, back off, barter, be, befall, bend, bendability, bequeath, bestow, bestow on, betide, betray, bounce, bounciness, break, break down, breathe, broadcast, buckle, buckle down, buoyance, buoyancy, capitulate, cause, cave, cave in, cease, cede, chance, chime, chorus, chuck, clothe, collapse, come, come apart, come off, come out with, commit, communicate, concede, confer, consign, contribute, convey, crumple, cut out, deal, deal out, dedicate, deed, deed over, deliver, demise, desist from, despair, devolve upon, devote, direct, disburse, discharge, disclose, dish out, dispense, disperse, dispose, disseminate, distribute, divide, divulge, dole, dole out, donate, dose, dose with, ductibility, ductility, elasticity, emit, endow, enfeoff, enforce upon, entrust, enunciate, equal, excess, exchange, exhale, expend, expose, express, extend, extendibility, extensibility, exude, facility, fail, fall out, feed, fetch, fictility, fill, fill up, find, flexibility, flexility, flexuousness, fling off, fold up, force, force upon, forgo, fork out, formativeness, formulate, forsake, freeload, fund, furnish, get across, get over, gift, gift with, give, give away, give expression, give freely, give ground, give in, give off, give out, give out with, give over, give title to, give tongue, give up, give utterance, give voice, give way, give word, go, grant, hand, hand down, hand on, hand out, hand over, hap, heap, help, help to, hold out, impart, impressionability, impute, induce, inflict, inform on, introduce, invest, issue, keep, lavish, lay on, lay out, lead, leak, leave off, leave word, leeway, lend, let have, let out, let slip, limberness, lip, litheness, liveliness, lot, maintain, make, make available, make known, make over, make provision for, make public, malleability, market, mete, mete out, mete out to, moldability, move, negotiate, occasion, offer, out with, outlay, over, pass, pass along, pass around, pass on, pass out, pass over, pay, perform, persuade, phonate, phrase, place, plasticity, play, pliability, pliancy, pose, pour, pour forth, prepare, prescribe for, present, produce, proffer, prompt, pronounce, provide, provide for, publish, put, put forth, put in words, put on, put upon, quit, rain, raise, read, rebound, receptiveness, recite, recruit, refer, reject, relax, release, relent, relinquish, render, renounce, replenish, report, resign, resilience, resiliency, responsiveness, reveal, run out, sacrifice, say, sell, send, send out, send word, sensibility, sensitiveness, sequacity, serve, set forth, settle, settle on, share, share with, shell out, shower, sign away, sign over, signal, sing, slack, slacken, slip, smell of, snap, snow, sound, sponge, spring, spring back, springiness, state, stock, stop, store, stretch, stretchability, stretchiness, strike, submissiveness, submit, subsidize, suppleness, supply, support, surrender, susceptibility, swap, swear off, tell, tender, tensileness, tensility, throw, throw off, throw out, tone, tonicity, tonus, tractability, tractility, trade, transfer, transmit, turn, turn over, unbend, uncover, utter, vend, vent, ventilate, verbalize, vocalize, voice, vouchsafe, weaken, whisper, willowiness, word, yield
Middle English given, from Old Norse gefa 'to give' (compare Danish give, Swedish giva), from Proto-Germanic *gebanan (“to give”) (compare West Frisian jaan, Dutch geven, German geben), from Proto-Indo-European *ghab(h)- (“to take, hold, have”) (compare Old Irish gaibim 'I hold', Latin habēre 'to have', Lithuanian gabenti 'to take away', gabana 'armful', Polish gabać 'to seize', Sanskrit gabhasti 'hand'). This verb displaced native Middle English yiven, yeven, from Old English giefan, gifan. More at gift.
- The translations below need to be checked.
- gi' (representing the spoken language)
- IPA: /ɡiː/, [ɡ̊iːˀ], [ɡ̊i]