NounGrain (countable and uncountable; plural Grains)
- (uncountable) The harvested seeds of various grass-related food crops eg: wheat, corn, barley.
- We stored a thousand tons of grain for the winter.
- (countable) A single seed of grain.
- a grain of wheat
- (countable, uncountable) The crops from which grain is harvested.
- The fields were planted with grain.
- (uncountable) A linear texture of a material or surface.
- Cut along the grain of the wood.
- (countable) A single particle of a substance.
- a grain of sand
- a grain of salt
- (uncountable) A very small unit of weight, in England equal to 1/480 of an ounce troy, 0.0648 grams or, to be more exact, 64.79891 milligrams. A carat grain or pearl grain is 1/4 carat or 50 milligrams. The old French grain was 1/9216 livre or 53.11 milligrams, and in the mesures usuelles permitted from 1812 to 1839, with the livre redefined as 500 grams, it was 54.25 milligrams.
- (materials) A region within a material having a single crystal structure or direction.
- To feed grain to.
- To make granular; to form into grains.
- To texture a surface in imitation of the grain of a substance such as wood.
- (tanning) To remove the hair or fat from a skin.
- (tanning) To soften leather.
Adjectives for Grain
burdening; natural; waving; distinct; fine springing; gathered; sprouting; garnered hardy; scanty; coarse; vintage; pungent generous; well-ripened; rustling; indigenous.
Verbs for Grain
bag—; cast — to; char—; collect—; distill from—; feed on—; ferment—; gather—; glean—; harvest—; injure—; plant—; prepare—; prize—; reap—; sow—; stack—; yield—; —fattens; —flourishes; —invites; —nourishes; —ripens.
abrade, ace, acorn, aftergrass, animus, apply paint, aptitude, atom, atomize, bamboo, barley, beat, bedaub, bedizen, begild, bent, berry, besmear, bias, bird seed, bit, blood, body-build, bran, brand, bray, break up, breccia, brecciate, breed, brush on paint, calcimine, cane, cast, cat food, cereal, cereal plant, character, characteristic, characteristics, chicken feed, chop, clan, coarsen, coat, color, come to dust, comminute, complexion, composition, constituents, constitution, contriturate, corn, cover, crasis, crumb, crumble, crumble into dust, crumble to dust, crush, dab, daub, debris, deep-dye, denomination, description, designation, detritus, dharma, diathesis, dip, disintegrate, disposition, distemper, dog food, dole, dot, double-dye, dram, dribble, driblet, drop, droplet, dwarf, dye, eatage, eccentricity, effloresce, emblazon, enamel, engild, ensilage, ethos, face, fall to dust, fall to pieces, farinaceous plant, farthing, fast-dye, feather, feed, feel, fiber, finish, flaxseed, fleck, flour, flyspeck, fodder, fog, forage, forage grass, form, fragment, frame, fresco, fruit, genius, genre, genus, gild, glaze, gloss, gnat, gobbet, graminaceous plant, granular texture, granulate, granule, granulet, granulize, grass, grate, gravel, grind, grind to powder, grist, grit, groat, habit, hair, handful, hay, hayseed, hint, hue, humor, humors, idiosyncrasy, ilk, illuminate, imbue, inclination, indentation, individualism, ingrain, iota, japan, jot, kernel, kidney, kin, kind, knub, label, lacquer, lawn grass, lay on color, leaning, levigate, line, linseed, little, little bit, lot, lota, make, makeup, manner, mark, mash, meal, mental set, mettle, microbe, microorganism, midge, mill, mind, mind-set, minim, minimum, minutia, minutiae, mite, modicum, mold, molecule, morsel, mote, nap, nature, nub, number, nut, nutshell, oats, ornamental grass, ounce, paint, parget, particle, pasturage, pasture, pattern, pebble, persuasion, pestle, pet food, phylum, physique, pigment, pile, pinch, pinhead, pinpoint, pip, pit, pittance, pock, point, pound, powder, predilection, predisposition, preference, prime, proclivity, propensity, property, protuberance, provender, pulverize, quality, race, reduce to powder, reed, roughen, sand, scintilla, scrap, scratch, scratch feed, scrunch, scruple, seed, set, shade, shadow, shag, shape, shard, shellac, shingle, shred, silage, slant, slop on paint, slops, smash, smear, smidgen, smidgin, smitch, smooth, snip, snippet, somatotype, sort, soupcon, species, speck, spirit, spoonful, spot, squash, stain, stamp, stipple, stone, strain, straw, streak, stripe, structure, style, suchness, suggestion, surface, surface texture, swill, system, taste, temper, temperament, tendency, tenor, texture, the like of, the likes of, thimbleful, tinct, tincture, tinge, tint, tiny bit, tittle, tone, tooth, trace, tribe, trifling amount, triturate, trivia, turn, turn of mind, twist, type, undercoat, vanishing point, variety, varnish, vein, wale, warp, wash, way, weave, wheat, whit, whitewash, woof
- The translations below need to be checked.
- Grain in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- Grain in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
Grain m. (plural Grains)