- Resistant to pressure.
- Requiring a lot of effort to do or understand
- a hard problem
- 1988, An Oracle, Edmund White
- Ray found it hard to imagine having accumulated so many mannerisms before the dawn of sex, of the sexual need to please, of the staginess sex encourages or the tightly capped wells of poisoned sexual desire the disappointed must stand guard over.
- a hard life
- (of a person) , severe, harsh, unfriendly, brutal.
- hard evidence
- Of drink, strong.
- (of a road intersection) Having a comparatively larger or a ninety-degree angle.
- At the intersection, there are two roads going to the left. Take the hard left.
- Of water, high in dissolved calcium compounds.
- (slang, vulgar, of a male) Sexually aroused.
- (bodybuilding) Having muscles that are tightened as a result of intense, regular exercise.
- (physics) Of a ferromagnetic material, having the capability of being a permanent magnet by being a material with high magnetic coercivity (compare soft)
- (resistant to pressure): resistant, solid, stony
- (requiring a lot of effort to do or understand): confusing, difficult, puzzling, tough, tricky
- (requiring a lot of effort to endure): difficult, intolerable, tough, unbearable
- (severe): harsh, hostile, severe, strict, tough, unfriendly
- (unquestionable): incontrovertible, indubitable, unambiguous, unequivocal, unquestionable
- (of drink): strong
- See also Thesaurus:difficult
- (resistant to pressure): soft
- (requiring a lot of effort to do or understand): easy, simple, straightforward, trite
- (requiring a lot of effort to endure): bearable, easy
- (severe): agreeable, amiable, approachable, friendly, nice, pleasant
- (unquestionable): controvertible, doubtful, ambiguous, equivocal, questionable
- (of drink):
- (of roads): soft
- ("sexually aroused"): soft, flaccid
- (manner) With much force or effort.
- He hit the puck hard up the ice.
- They worked hard all week.
- At the intersection, bear hard left.
- The recession hit them especially hard.
- Think hard on your choices.
- (manner) With difficulty.
- His degree was hard earned.
- (manner) Compactly.
- The lake had finally frozen hard.
- (now archaic) Near, close.
- 1999, George RR Martin , A Clash of Kings, Bantam 2011, p. 418:
- It was another long day's march before they glimpsed the towers of Harrenhal in the distance, hard beside the blue waters of the lake.
- 1999, George RR Martin , A Clash of Kings, Bantam 2011, p. 418:
NounHard (plural Hards)
Adverbs for Hard
stonily; wilfully; unyieldingly; pitilessly; obdurately; unrelentingly; unrepentantly; inexorably; stubbornly; obstinately; mulishly; doggedly; perversely; fanatically; resolutely; determinedly; unmercifully; cruelly; maliciously; vengefully; implacably; bitterly; sternly; unreasonably; manifestly; palpably; undeniably.
Herculean, Philistine, about, absolute, abstruse, accented, acerb, acerbic, acrid, acrimonious, actively, acute, adamant, adamantine, addictive, adverse, afflictive, agonizing, agonizingly, alcoholic, all but, almost, along toward, alveolar, amaroidal, anesthetic, angry, antagonistic, apical, apico-alveolar, apico-dental, approximately, ardent, ardently, arduous, arduously, around, articulated, assiduous, assiduously, assimilated, astringent, at close quarters, at hand, atrocious, austere, avid, back, backbreaking, bad, badly, baffling, bankrupt, bare, barytone, bec et ongles, beefy, beyond one, bilabial, biting, bitter, bitter as gall, bleak, bloodless, blunt, bony, bothersome, bouncing, bowelless, brazen, broad, broke, brutal, brutish, bulky, burdensome, businesslike, busted, cacuminal, calamitous, calculating, callous, calloused, carefully, cartilaginous, case-hardened, cast-iron, caustic, cement, cemental, central, cerebral, checked, chewy, clear, close, close about, close at hand, close by, close-knit, close-textured, close-woven, coarse, cohesive, cold, cold of heart, coldblooded, coldhearted, compact, compacted, complex, complicated, compressed, concentrated, concrete, condensed, conditioning, conflicting, congested, conscienceless, conscientious, conscientiously, consolidated, consonant, consonantal, continuant, contrary, cool, coriaceous, corneous, counter, counteractive, crabbed, crammed, crammed full, cramp, cramping, critical, crowded, cruel, dark, deep, deeply, definite, delicate, demanding, dense, dental, despotic, determinedly, detrimental, devastating, devoted, devotedly, dictatorial, difficile, difficult, diligent, diligently, disastrous, dispassionate, dissimilated, distinct, distressing, distressingly, dog-eat-dog, dogged, doggedly, dorsal, doughty, dour, down-to-earth, dull, durable, dure, dynamically, eager, eagerly, earnestly, effortful, effortfully, enduring, energetic, energetically, enigmatic, exacting, excruciating, exhausting, factual, fast by, fatiguing, fervent, fibrous, firm, flat, flinthearted, flintlike, flinty, forceful, forcefully, forcible, forcibly, forcy, formidable, front, full-blooded, full-strength, fundamentalist, garbled, genuine, glide, glossal, glottal, gluey, gnawing, granitelike, granitic, grave, grievous, grim, grinding, griping, gristly, gutsy, guttural, gutty, habit-forming, habituating, hairy, hale, hammer and tongs, hard as nails, hard by, hard of heart, hard to understand, hard up, hard-bitten, hard-boiled, hard-core, hard-earned, hard-fought, hard-nosed, hard-set, hardened, hardheaded, hardhearted, hardworking, hardy, harmful, harrowing, harsh, harshly, heart and soul, heartily, heartless, hearty, heavy, hefty, hereabout, hereabouts, hidebound, high, horny, hostile, hurtful, hurting, husky, ill, immovable, immutable, impassible, impecunious, impenetrable, impenitent, impermeable, impervious, implacable, impliable, impoverished, impregnable, in opposition, in spitting distance, in the red, inclement, incomprehensible, incontestable, incontrovertible, indefatigable, indefatigably, indigent, indisputable, indurate, indurated, industrious, industriously, inelastic, ineluctable, inescapable, inexorable, inflexible, inhuman, inimical, inscrutable, insensate, insensitive, insolent, insoluble, intemperate, intense, intensely, intent, intently, intonated, intractable, intransigent, intricate, inured, involved, irksome, iron, iron-hard, ironbound, ironclad, ironhanded, ironlike, irreconcilable, jam-packed, jammed, jawbreaking, jumbled, keen, knotted, knotty, labial, labiodental, labiovelar, labored, laborious, laboriously, lapideous, lasting, lateral, lax, leatherlike, leathery, light, lingual, liquid, lithoid, lithoidal, lost to shame, low, lusty, magisterial, manfully, marble, marblelike, massive, matter-of-fact, mean, merciless, methodical, mid, mightily, mighty, miserable, monophthongal, most, much, muscle-bound, muted, narrow, nasal, nasalized, near, near at hand, nearabout, nearabouts, nearby, nervy, never idle, nigh, nigh about, no picnic, nonporous, not easy, not far, obdurate, obfuscated, obscure, obscured, obstinate, occlusive, onerous, only a step, open, operose, operosely, opposed, opposing, opposite, oppressive, orthodox, osseous, overtechnical, oxytone, pachydermatous, packed, painful, painfully, palatal, palatalized, paroxysmal, penetrating, penniless, perplexed, perplexing, perseveringly, persistent, persistently, petrified, pharyngeal, pharyngealized, phonemic, phonetic, phonic, physiologically addictive, piercing, pitch, pitched, pitiless, plain, poignant, poor, positive, posttonic, potent, poverty-stricken, powerful, practical, practically, pragmatic, procrustean, profound, proof against, psychologically addictive, puissant, pungent, purist, puristic, puritan, puritanic, puzzling, racking, real, realistic, red-blooded, relentless, relentlessly, remorseless, resistant, resistive, retroflex, rigid, rigorist, rigoristic, rigorous, robust, robustious, rock-ribbed, rockbound, rocklike, rocky, ropy, rough, rounded, rugged, ruthless, savage, scabrous, scrambled, searching, seared, sedulous, sedulously, semivowel, serious, serried, set, set with thorns, severe, severely, shameless, sharp, shooting, sinewy, sinister, slavish, sleepless, sober, soft, solid, solidified, sonant, sound, sour, spasmatic, spasmic, spasmodic, spiny, spiritedly, spirituous, stabbing, stable, stalwart, stark, steadfastly, steady, steeled against, steellike, steely, steep, stern, sticky, stiff, stinging, stonelike, stony, stonyhearted, stopped, stout, straight, straightforward, straightlaced, straining, straitlaced, strapping, strenuous, strenuously, stressed, stressful, strict, stringent, stringy, strong, strong as brandy, strong as strong, strong-willed, stubborn, studiously, sturdy, substantial, surd, sure-enough, syllabic, systematic, tangled, tart, tenacious, tense, terrible, the hard way, thereabout, thereabouts, thick, thick-growing, thick-skinned, thickset, thorny, throaty, ticklish, tireless, tiring, toilsome, toilsomely, tonal, tonic, tooth and nail, tormenting, torturous, tough, tough as leather, tricky, troublesome, troublous, trying, twangy, tyrannical, unabject, unaccented, unaffected, unalterable, unavoidable, unbending, unblushing, unchangeable, uncompassionate, uncompassioned, uncompromising, uncontrite, undeniable, unemotional, unfalteringly, unfavorable, unfeeling, unflagging, unforgiving, unfriendly, ungentle, ungiving, unidealistic, unkind, unmelted, unmerciful, unmoved, unnatural, unpitiful, unpitying, unpleasant, unquestionable, unrelenting, unremitting, unremorseful, unrepentant, unrepenting, unresponsive, unrounded, unsentimental, unsleeping, unsoftened, unsolvable, unsparing, unstressed, unsympathetic, unsympathizing, untiring, untiringly, untouched, untoward, unvarnished, unwearied, unyielding, uphill, urgently, vehement, velar, verifiable, vigorous, vigorously, vinous, violently, viscid, viscose, viscous, vocalic, vocoid, voiced, voiceless, vowel, vowellike, weak, wearing, wearisome, wearying, well-built, well-constructed, well-defined, well-founded, well-grounded, well-made, well-nigh, wicked, wide, winy, wiry, with a kick, with a will, with effort, within call, within earshot, within hearing, within reach, without mercy, wretched, zealous, zealously
- (RP) enPR: häd, IPA: /hɑːd/, SAMPA: /hA:d/
- (GenAm) enPR: häd, IPA: /hɑɹd/, SAMPA: /hArd/
Audio (US) noicon (file)
- Rhymes: -ɑː(r)d
- Homophones: heart (in some dialects)
- The translations below need to be checked.
- Homophone: hart
- (objects) hard, strong
- (numismatics) strong, not easily devalued
- unquestionable, uncontestable
- harde feiten: hard facts
- (emotion) heartless, unsympathetic
- hard, difficult
- een harde strijd: a difficult fight
- (magnitude) harsh, heavy
- harde straffen: harsh punishments
- een harde regen: heavy rain
- (water) hard, rich in calcium
- resistant to pressure: zacht
- IPA: /aʁd/
- (of pornography) hardcore
- Des photos hards.
Hard m. (plural Hards)
- hardcore pornography
- Le Journal du hard est une émission de Canal + dédiée au cinéma pornographique.
- IPA: [haːɾˠd̪ˠ]
- Mutated form of ard.