- To set on fire; to kindle; to cause to burn, flame, or glow.
- To provoke to anger or rage; to exasperate; to irritate; to incense; to enrage.
- (figuratively) To kindle or intensify, as passion or appetite; to excite to an excessive or unnatural action or heat; as, to inflame desire.
- To put in a state of inflammation; to produce morbid heat, congestion, or swelling, of; as, to inflame the eyes by overwork.
- To exaggerate; to enlarge upon.
- To grow morbidly hot, congested, or painful; to become angry or incensed.
Adverbs for Inflame
superficially; fatally; excessively; chronically; temporarily; painfully; treasonably.
Thesaurus for Inflame
afflict, aggravate, agitate, agonize, ail, anger, animate, annoy, arouse, augment, awake, awaken, bank, bite, blow the coals, blow up, bristle, burn, burn up, call forth, call up, carmine, chafe, conflagrate, convulse, crimson, crucify, cut, deepen, distress, drive, dynamize, electrify, embitter, energize, enkindle, enliven, enrage, exacerbate, exasperate, excite, excruciate, exhilarate, fan, fan the fire, fan the flame, feed, feed the fire, ferment, fester, fire, fire up, flame, foment, frenzy, fret, fuel, gall, galvanize, get, give pain, gnaw, goad, grate, grind, gripe, harrow, hearten, heat, heat up, heighten, henna, huff, hurt, ignite, impassion, incarnadine, incense, incite, increase, inflict pain, infuriate, instigate, intensify, invigorate, irritate, jazz up, key up, kill by inches, kindle, lacerate, lash up, lather up, light, light the fuse, light up, lipstick, liven, madden, madder, martyr, martyrize, miff, miniate, motivate, move, nettle, nip, overexcite, pain, peeve, pep up, perk up, pierce, pinch, pique, prick, prod, prolong the agony, provoke, put out, put to torture, put up to, quicken, rack, rally, rankle, rasp, red-ink, redden, rekindle, relight, relume, rile, roil, rouge, rouse, rub, rubify, rubric, ruddle, ruffle, rust, set astir, set fire to, set on, set on fire, set up, sic on, snap up, spur on, stab, steam up, stimulate, sting, stir, stir the blood, stir the embers, stir the feelings, stir the fire, stir up, stoke, stoke the fire, strike a light, summon up, tickle, torch, torment, torture, touch off, turn on, tweak, twist, urge, vermilion, vex, vile, vitalize, wake, wake up, waken, warm, warm the blood, whet, whip up, work into, work up, wound, wring, zip up
Etymology of Inflame
Pronunciation of Inflame
- Rhymes: -eɪm
Synonyms of Inflame
Related terms of Inflame
- Inflame in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- Inflame in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
Inflame (infinitive inflamar)