- Endowed with intellect; having the power of understanding; having capacity for the higher forms of knowledge or thought; characterized by intelligence or mental capacity; as, an intellectual person.
- Belonging to, or performed by, the intellect; mental; as, intellectual powers, activities, etc.
- Suitable for exercising the intellect; formed by, and existing for, the intellect alone; perceived by the intellect; as, intellectual employments.
- Relating to the understanding; treating of the mind; as, intellectual philosophy, sometimes called "mental" philosophy.
NounIntellectual (plural Intellectuals)
- An intelligent person, someone interested in intellectual matters.
- (archaic) The intellect or understanding; mental powers or faculties.
Adverbs for Intellectual
impressively; immensely; thoroughly; acutely; uncommonly; unusually; amazingly; subtly; earnestly; assiduously; proudly; swaggeringly; consciously; brilliantly; keenly; sharpingly; banteringly; jestingly; cleverly; ingeniously; admirably; wonderfully; wittily; drolly; sparklingly; capably; craftily; sensibly; reasonably; sagely; consciously; notoriously; proverbially; alertly; sedulously; actively.
Brahmin, academic, academician, affective, authority, bookish, brain, brainy, bright, cerebral, characteristic, conceptive, conceptual, constitutional, discursive, dispositional, doctor, egghead, elder, elder statesman, elitist, emotional, endopsychic, experimental scientist, expert, genius, great soul, guru, highbrow, highbrowed, ideational, illuminate, illuminati, innate, intellect, intellectualistic, intelligence, intelligent, internal, knowing, literati, lover of wisdom, mahatma, man of intellect, man of science, man of wisdom, mandarin, master, mastermind, mental, mentor, noetic, noological, not so dumb, oracle, philosopher, phrenic, polymath, practical scientist, professor, psychic, psychical, psychologic, psychological, pundit, rabbi, rational, reasonable, reasoning, rishi, sage, sane, sapient, savant, scholar, scholarly, scientist, seer, sensible, sophic, spiritual, starets, strong-minded, subjective, technologist, temperamental, thinker, thinking, thought-provoking, thoughtful, understanding, wise man, wise old man