NounIntrigue (plural Intrigues)
- A complicated or clandestine plot or scheme intended to effect some purpose by secret artifice; conspiracy; stratagem.
- The plot of a play, poem or romance; the series of complications in which a writer involves his imaginary characters.
- Clandestine intercourse between persons; illicit intimacy; a liaison.
- (intransitive) To conceive or carry out a secret plan intended to harm; to form a plot or scheme.
- (transitive) To arouse the interest of; to fascinate.
- (intransitive) To have clandestine or illicit intercourse.
Adjectives for Intrigue
romantic; genuine; peaceful; violent; perpetual; criminal; sinuous; revolutionary; paltry; scandalous; sordid; ambitious; political; continental; double; indefatigable; dynastic; sacrilegious; abortive; tortuous; poor; clever; private.
adulterous affair, adultery, affair, amor, amour, angle, appeal, art, artful dodge, artfulness, artifice, attract, backstairs influence, becharm, beguile, bewitch, blind, brew, cabal, captivate, carry away, cast a spell, charm, chicanery, cogitate, collogue, collude, collusion, complicity, complot, concoct, confederacy, connections, connivance, connive, conspiracy, conspire, contrivance, contrive, contriving, cook up, countermine, counterplot, coup, covin, craft, craftiness, credibility gap, cuckoldry, cute trick, deals, deceit, deceitfulness, deception, deep-laid plot, design, device, devise, disingenuousness, dodge, double-dealing, enchant, engineer, engineering, enrapture, enravish, entanglement, enthrall, entrance, eternal triangle, excite, expedient, fakement, falseheartedness, fascinate, feint, fetch, finagle, finagling, finesse, flirtation, forbidden love, forswearing, frame, frame up, frame-up, fraud, gambit, game, games, gerrymander, gimmick, grift, guile, hanky-panky, hatch, hatch a plot, hatch up, hypnotize, illicit love, infatuate, infidelity, influence peddling, insincerity, interest, intimacy, intrigues, jockey, jugglery, knavery, lay a plot, liaison, little game, lobbying, lobbyism, love affair, machinate, machination, maneuver, maneuvering, manipulate, manipulation, mesmerize, move, operate, perjury, pique, play games, plot, plotting, ploy, ploys, practice, pull strings, racket, red herring, rig, rigging, romance, romantic tie, ropes, ruse, scheme, schemery, schemes, scheming, sharp practice, shift, sleight, spell, spellbind, stratagem, strategy, strings, subterfuge, tactic, titillate, transport, triangle, trick, trickery, uncandidness, uncandor, underplot, unfaithfulness, unfrankness, unsincereness, untruthfulness, vamp, wangle, web of intrigue, wile, wily device, wire-pulling, wires, witch
- (noun) enPR: ĭn'trēg, IPA: /ˈɪntriːɡ/, SAMPA: /"Intri:g/
- (verb) enPR: ĭntrēg', IPA: /ɪnˈtriːɡ/, SAMPA: /In"tri:g/
Intrigue f. (plural Intrigues)
- plot, storyline (of novel, film, etc)
- first-person singular present indicative of intriguer
- third-person singular present indicative of intriguer
- first-person singular present subjunctive of intriguer
- third-person singular present subjunctive of intriguer
- second-person singular imperative of intriguer